Reload this Page >

Traffic in Cote d'Azur in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:34 PM
Diane

We were planning on driving from the Avignon / Aix area to Nice and Cannes. We would stay in that area for five nights, taking daytrips to Monaco, Cap d'Antibes, etc. Now our friend's sister, an ex-pat who lives in a town near Grasse, has expressed horror that we would come at such a time. The traffic is awful, she says, and a drive that would ordinarily take 1/2 hour will take 2 hours. Any comments?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:38 PM
Rex

Your friend's sister didn't say that just to exercise her vocal cords.<BR><BR>The August population of the Route du Soleil is just shy of the population of all of France.<BR><BR>Sorry this isn't the answer you wanted to hear.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:46 PM
elvira

A friend who lives in Beaulieu-sur-Mer and works in Monte Carlo leaves his car in the garage and uses his boat to get around during the summer.<BR><BR>And he LLLLLLOOOOVVVEESS his car...

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:52 PM
topper

topping, for Diane...<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:56 PM
Lynne

<BR>We were driving there in late June and<BR>it was horrendous then - I can't imagine<BR>how terrible it would be in August!<BR><BR>Talk about an escargot's pace!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:17 PM
Sam

What about just driving out of Nice into Italy? Still horrendous?<BR>Thanks. Sam

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:34 PM
Dayle

Trains would be a better option. Just get res ahead!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:42 AM
HRH SBP

Elvira, I wannabe your friend - the one with the boat/car conundrum! (well, I also wannabe YOUR friend too! you loon you!<BR><BR>go in March/April - no traffic, flowers are starting to come out, weather is warming up too - mid-high 60s or even 70..<BR><BR>HRH

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:02 AM
Lynne

Sam:<BR>Driving into Italy is *always* busy -<BR>we've found the best time with the <BR>least traffic is Saturday or Sunday<BR>mornings very (!) early......if you<BR>are at all nervous the tunnels 'tween<BR>the border and Genoa can be pretty<BR>scary on weekdays - lots of big rigs<BR>in a big hurry!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:23 PM
up to the top

Topping again<BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:11 PM
Sam

Lynne: Thanks for the heads up. We're picking up the car in Nice so we're forced to do the Genoa tunnel thing into Italy. I guess we'll just grit our teeth and pray. Sam.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 03:36 AM
bogged down in forum traffic

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 01:39 PM
harvey

it's no big deal if you live in big us. cities like atlanta you will be used to it. plus you will see the natives on their vacations. it's great weather that time of year

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 01:27 AM
j

I have been to the Cote d'Azur in August several times. That's the best time for me to vacation, so that's what I do if I want to see this fabulous area. You should not find the traffic unbearable, except on the road to St. Tropez. If you can travel later in August (say after 8/25), you should be fine. Also, try to avoid the weekend of the Feast of the Assumption (8/17?) Have fun!