Reload this Page >

Spain Trip - Please Help

Search

Spain Trip - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Angela

Spain Trip - Please Help

Hello. I am planning a two week trip to Spain for next April (03). I want to spend one week at the beach and one week staying in Seville, Granada, Ronda. This will be Easter week next year. Since this is my first time going to Spain, would you suggest being at the beach or one of the cities during Easter week? Please bear in mind that I want to see the major sites in the cities, although of course parades are nice too. Will tourist sites be closed all week? Are these festivities worth being a part of? I am asking now so I can book accommodations properly. Thanks so much.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Angela

Anyone out there to help me? Please??

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 10:02 AM
xxx

TTT for the Spain lovers.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Rex

I just don't have the experience to answer your question, but I am surprised it has been skipped over three times.<BR><BR>If all else fails, try www.madridman.com - - good for all thigs Spain.<BR><BR>From good ol' Columbus, Ohio<BR><BR>Madridman, that is.<BR><BR>me too.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:01 AM
evelyntrav

Perhaps if the heading read "Easter Week in Spain" rather than being as vague as it is, there would be appropriate replies.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:05 AM
ack

top some more<BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:11 AM
Sandra

Dear Angela:<BR><BR>You absolutely must not miss Semana Santa (Easter) in Sevilla. The whole city is a big party. Now don't let the Catholic fervor of the country fool you into thinking that the Easter parades (in Sevilla or elsewhere) will be all about the Virgin Mary. during this week, partying and merriment are taken the to the max, people go out in the streets in traditional costume, the wine flows, there are fireworks and corridas (bullfights), and all sorts of people on the streets looking to have fun. It's amazing! Definitely my recommendation to you is Easter week in Sevilla (with stops in Granada, Ronda, as they all have similar party atmospheres, only that Sevilla is perhaps the most famous). <BR><BR>Have a wonderful time,<BR>Sandra

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:44 AM
Angela

Thanks very much for that helpful information Sandra. So you are saying that the festivities will be terrific, and I will also still be able to see typical tourist sites. It sounds like a lot of fun. I hope it is safe though and not like Mardi Gras in New Orleans (a big drunkfest where loud obnoxious guys rule the day). <BR><BR>Evelyn - I apologize for the inappropriate heading. I noticed that other queries entitled "Italy Trip" or something like that often received helpful answers.<BR><BR>Angela

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:09 PM
Sandra

Angela, yes, I think you will find Sevilla on Easter to be quite enjoyable and safe. It's not quite the drunkfest of New Orleans in Mardi Gras, but the wine definitely flows! The Spanish are unique in their love for fun and merriment. You'll find that people will break into spontaneous dance and songs in bars and in the streets, sometimes putting on wonderful, albeit amateur, shows. However, just like with all crowded places, keep an eye on your valuables. I can't guarantee you'll not run into rowdy drunks, but I can certainly guarantee you'll have an unforgettable travel experience, with lots of fun, with magnificent sights (the architecture in the South of Spain is breathtaking due to the mixture of cultures that have populated the area throughout history: muslim, Romans, Christian, etc.). Again, have fun! Let me know how it went when you return!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:10 PM
michele

Angela,<BR>Semana Santa in Seville is gorgeous. Each processions has a different flavor to it. The Good Friday one (the biggest) is especially beautiful and quite moving. It is not like Mardi Gras, there is a respectful and sometimes mournful quality to it.( A man sang a lament for his mother from a balcony and then tossed rosebuds into the crowd the night I was there). It is unbelievably crowded that week in Seville, so if you are considering it there is no time that is too early to start booking reservations. All the major tourist sites were open. The only day/night that was somewhat difficult to find a restaurant (other than the hotel) open was Good Friday.<BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:47 PM
Dan

I wouldn't exactly call them "parades." They are religious processions. It's true people are stopping at cafes, but it isn't really "party" atmosphere, more of respectful tradition of Holy Week, the week before Easter. <BR><BR>The one problem is that it is hard to get a room last minute. We booked in November for last Easter, and even then didn't get our first choice. <BR><BR>Worth going to. <BR><BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:53 PM
evelyn

I agree with Michele and Dan's description of Holy Week. It's not a big party scene. The Feria (I think that's about two weeks later--sort of a celebration of Old Seville) has a more festive quality. Holy Week, despite the crowds, still maintains a religious tone. It's not glum, but it's not New Year's Eve type of thing. <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:02 PM
Judy

Angela, we were in S. Spain, principally Malaga during Easter Week last year, going one day to Sevilla and it was an unforgettable experience. For me, it was a spiritual one. At Malaga I found I could get, indeed be part of the procession behind the Virgin. We had our entire family, inc. several 30 something non-church going children and it was an incredible experience. Sevilla although having quite different festivals during Semana Santa (you must read Michener's chapter on the Semana Santa in Seville) was during the day time. Malaga's processions with the exception of Palm Sunday where we were there for the first one about 9am on Sun. am were all in the eve. Music, costuming, ritual , spontaneous outburst of singing, it was beautiful. And of course we hit the bars after we got tired. Be prepared for late late nights but an unforgettable experience. I tried to make reservations in May and they wouldn't even consider them until fall. The reason being that many Northern Spaniards reserve at the same place year after year. Do it!! Judy<BR>some tourist sites are closed, but most are not with the exception of Good Fri. and of course the usual Mon. closings. Also Malaga is the beach , only not touristy. I feel we saw the real Spain. We also took day trips to <BR>Ronds, Grenada and Seville, and then stopped at Cordoba on the way north for a week. I am normally a beach person, other then looking at it, the only thing that I enjoyed were the fabulous meals featuring fisn, Spanish style served at restaurants on the beach.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:25 PM
Pedro

I live in Sevilla and I would say the city almost entirely "feel" Holy Week. It is something spiritual, social, aesthetical and religious. I would never say Sevilla is partying at that time or at least not Sevilians, we feel somehow a respect for processions but part of Holy Week ambiance is going for tapas. Many Sevilians that live in the suburbs or people coming from the surrounding towns discover during that time the beauty of the city, the streets, the churches, the squares of the city centre where processions mainly take place year after year since the Middle Age. Processions start at approx 3 PM and end up at 3-4 AM ( not all of course since in Sevilla there is an average of seven processions every day and each one has its own schedule ) so there is a lot to see during the day and during the night. It is something that people live in the streets from the humblest and poorest headquarters to the most elegant and aristocratic areas of the city being the crowds something typical of the celebrations. Summing up, I would encourage you to be in Sevilla during Holy Week. I live it year after year and always get impressed with it. Getting good accommodation is really a problem if not reserved far in advance.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:28 PM
Glad

that this thread got a few extra chances at the start of its life...<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:29 AM
Angela

Thanks to everyone! I am really looking forward to this now. I have decided to stay in Sevilla too, not in Carmona and drive in like I originally thought I might do. I will remember to book early though. Thanks again, Angela

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:08 AM
Tom

We loved Seville and Granada. I'd skip Ronda and at time to Seville. Although the gorge was amazing, it was a bit of a long drive to see a large ditch.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:48 AM
Another Tom

Does anyone else have the notion that Tom, [email protected] is a commonly used pseudonym by several posters?<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:05 AM
lisa

Angela -- we were in Southern Spain in September 2000 and happened upon a similar type of celebration in Granada. Apparently, it was the feast day of the patron saint of one of the churches there. You cannot imagine how long and beautiful and moving and fun the parade was. We watched most of it from the roofdeck of our hotel. People lined the streets all day -- families, mostly -- and vendors were selling food and souveniers. <BR><BR>Then the local men from the church hoisted on their shoulders the platform with a statute of the saint completely adorned in flowers. Ten men strained under the weight. Dozens more followed. The parade inched up the Reyes Catholica street from one end to the other, with the crowd singing and dancing to the music. It was clearly a spiritual event, but fun, too.<BR><BR>Afterwards, the locals filled the tapas bars and restaurants. The next day was a holiday and the entire town (including us) turned out at the church to get a look at the statute in all her glory.<BR><BR>It was something I'll never forget. It sounds like Semana Santa will be similar, but an even bigger celebration.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Angela

Hello - it's me again. I have one more question. Has anyone ever stayed at the Cordoba Parador? If so, is it as lovely as the others? Does Cordoba deserve/need more than one day? I was thinking of substituting Cordoba for Ronda as it appears to be more appropriate for a first trip. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Angela

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -