Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tower of London tickets? Mme. Tussaud's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 05:26 PM
Penny

I've been reading scads of guidebooks to prep for my upcoming trip to London. Is it advisable to obtain tickets for the Tower and Tussaud's ahead of time? If so, where's the best place to get them, and how? If not, can we expect long lines in mid-April? <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 09:26 PM
Michele

Penny: I tried to post the same question a while back and got very little reply. I heard that you can avoid the long lines by buying your Tussaud's ticket at the hop on/off bus and get your Tower tickets at the Victoria Transport center...can anyone help us with this? Is it worth it?

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 03:12 AM
Jane

You can call Mdme Tussard up to 24 hours before you want to visit and book over the phone and then go to the pick up line ( which also had a wait when we went ). I don't know about the Tower but we have never had a very long wait there for tickets.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 06:53 AM
Bill Irving

I have never had to wait longet than maybe 10 minutes, at most, to get into the Tower, but we usually get there right about the time it opens. That includes the last time we were there, which was a Saturday morning in June, only a 5 minute wait. (When we got into the Tower, the first thing we did was go to the Crown Jewels. We were able to walk right in, take the moving sidewalk down 1 side of the jewels & then immediately go back & take the sidewalk down the other side of the Jewels. <BR>The lines at Madame Tussaud's are another story completely. It can take an hour to get in. When we were in London in June of 1999, we did the following: Our kids are into music so we went to the Rock Circus (which is a wax museum about the history of Rock & Roll) & it is associated with Madame Tussaud's. We bought our tickets there(2 people in line ahead of us). Then when we went to Madame Tussaud's we bypassed the long, long ticket line & were able to get into the wax museum in about 10 minutes.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 10:33 AM
PJ

We went to the Tower last Friday 3/17; got there about 11:30, the line was about 15 min. long. No wait at all for the Crown Jewels. If you have college students with you make sure you bring the college ID card with you for a discount. Do the Beefeater tour-excellant! <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 02:07 PM
elvira

If you can get the Mme Tussaud's tix ahead, do it. Even in February, the line was the length of England. <BR>The Tower tickets can be bought in any underground station at the ticket booth. Recommend the "get there at the opening" as Bill noted; avoid crowds at all cost!