Search

MXP to COMO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 1969, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<i>Have you asked or would you ever ask a stranger to take a photo for you?</i>

Yes. Look for people who are taking their own photos, especially those who look like they know what they're doing. I typically offer to take a photo of another person/couple first and then ask them if they'd kindly return the favor.

I haven't traveled solo thus far, but one of my sweetest memories is of strolling on the University of Washington campus with my son in his cap and gown on his graduation day, when he approached a couple where we were standing in front of Denney Hall, and said &quot;Would you take a picture of me and my Mom? She's the reason I'm here today.&quot;

It brought tears to my eyes then and still does when I remember the moment.

That said, when I am traveling, I rarely wish for photos of myself and am not enamored of the few I've had taken. I take photos of my sister/travel partner, but the only ones that seem to please me are those that capture HER image, not the image of her posing in front of some monument or another. I have great pics of her sitting across the table from me on the terrace at Hotel Haus Lippman in Beilstein, with just a hint of the overhead grape arbor fuzzy in the background, or of her seated across from me on the train from Rome to Milan.

All my favorite photos I've taken are about a place and a moment for me to remember, the world through my eyes, not me through someone else's eye.

MXP to COMO

It was 1999 - our last day in Paris, we were enjoying the Luxembourg Gardens one last time and I desparately wanted to have a photo taken of us with the beautiful gardens in the background. Another couple were leaning on the railing with their backs to us. I plucked up the courage to ask them to take a photo for us. By chance they were Australians (as are we) who were working in London, and in Paris for the weekend.

We talked for at least three hours on that day, and last year we flew across Australia for their wedding and gave one of the speeches (they are 20 years younger than us - more like our children's ages!) but what a wonderful friendship we now have. Their first baby is due any day and we have another trip across Australia planned later in the year to wet the baby's head. All because of a photo.
Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 09:36 AM
The not-so-savvy traveler

Whats the best way to get fron the MXP Airport to Como? Car, Bus, Train? I plan on staying in Como for two nights before going to Portofino by train (if it goes there).

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 02:27 PM
Paulo

With so many visitors wanting to go to Lake Como directly from MPX, a direct bus service would be in order ... I've never heard of such a service, though. <BR>Somebody reported here to have booked a taxi through his hotel and having paid Lit 300,000 + tips ... The car trip should take an hour or so, more or less depending on where your hotel is. If you want to go the much cheaper bus-to-Milano Centrale, train-to-Como and taxi/ferry to where you're staying, it'll take you more than 3 hours ... the choice's yours . <BR>To Portofino (actually Sta. Margherita or Rapallo + taxi), there's one daily direct train from Como and quite a few other with a change in Milano or Parma. The trip should take from 3 1/2 to 4 hours. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS In your shoes I would rent a car <BR>