Search

Tower of London guided Tours, Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2023, 11:02 AM
moo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tower of London guided Tours, Worth It?

Considering a Tower of London tour. Is it worth it? We'd prefer a small group tour do you have any suggestions for tour company or are they all the same? Looks like they start at 9:30 or 8:30 depending on day. Please offer some tour guide companies that are great.
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 11:45 AM

My suggestion would be to purchase your tickets to the Tower of London and join one of the Yeoman Warder tours, which runs every 30 minutes and is included in the price of admission. The size of the groups depends on the time of day and how busy the site is, but the guides, dressed as Beefeaters, do a good job of describing the places you're looking at, the history behind it, etc.
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 11:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd never (ever) do a commercial tour of the Tower. There is no need at all. The Yeoman Warders (beefeaters) do free group tours if you are interested -- they are quite good - though the groups can end up pretty large. Those tours only cover exteriors (except for the final bit inside the chapel) and one explores the building interiors, Crown Jewels and museums on their own.

But even without taking a Beefeater tour -- every building has very good explanatory information. Much better to go at your own speed and concentrate on the parts you find most interesting rather than having to stick to a scheduled tour.
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 11:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tripplanner001
My suggestion would be to purchase your tickets to the Tower of London and join one of the Yeoman Warder tours, which runs every 30 minutes and is included in the price of admission. The size of the groups depends on the time of day and how busy the site is, but the guides, dressed as Beefeaters, do a good job of describing the places you're looking at, the history behind it, etc.
We were posting at the same time . . . it may be a semantics thing, but they are not 'dressed as Beefeaters' - those are are not costumes. They are official military uniforms.
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 02:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The Yeoman Warder tours included in the price of admission, are great. They give you the background, the feel, and impart great knowledge. I've done it many times . . . I lived in England, so every time a friend or family member from the U.S. came to visit, they'd want to see the Tower of London. I didn't mind going along all those times, because, like going to Disneyland (I'm from L.A.), the repeats are fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 03:03 PM

I"ve done two Yeoman Warder tours and loved both. They really know their stuff and love the Tower because it's also their home.