Search

Tower of London

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tower of London

We are going to London in July with three children, I am a little confused, can we reasonably get into de tower of London without reservations.? I understand that once in, is better to see the jewels of the crown earlier and then look for the guided tour with a Beefeter.We are going for a few days from abroad and unfortunately cannot get the two for one deal with the train.
I would appreciate at what time to go, and where to buy the tickets, is there any place where the line to buy tickets is supposed to be shorter. Thank you.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 05:02 AM

I think if you plan to be at the Tower a few minutes before it opens, you won't have much line. Then yes, go straight to the Crown Jewels and then do whatever else you want.

Someone may have a suggestion about pre-buying, but I don't think you need to. There are going to be queues most everywhere in July but if you go early to the Tower, you minimize them.

Also, not to complicate your life BUT if you are going to be purchasing travel cards for your time in London (which you just about have to), if you purchase such at a TRAIN station (several train stations are also Tube stations--you would just go to the rail/train section and to an agent in that part) you could get the paper travel cards (as opposed to either getting the plastic Oyster card or getting a paper travel card at at TUBE station), then those paper travel cards purchased at at TRAIN station would let you avail yourself of 2for1 offers.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you texasbookworm, because my Englilsh is not that good, when you say if you are going to purchase TRAVEL CARDS for your time in LONDON...... what is that you exactly mean by
TRAVEL CARDS ? are those train tickets?

I am sort of guessing, A TRAVEL CARD is like the ORANGE CARD in Paris? meaning a card to use in the public transport?, so you are telling me that if I buy a travel card, like an Oyster card, I shoudl go to the rail-train section and get instead a paper card, which is equivalent to the Oyster ...or not? and then buy a 2 for 1, btw the 2 for 1 can be bought at the same rail-section of the train station?
sorry if I sound totally :incompetent, short of stupid but I would like to know what to do before getting there, we are not going for that many days and with the children and all...thank you so much for yourreply, of course being a big family of6, the 2 by 1 sounds just to good to miss...
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 09:52 AM

You don't sound stupid at all! It really is easier to do than to read about.

Yes, a travel card is what you buy for travel on the Tube (metro/subway/underground rail system) (and it also covers buses and some trains). I don't know the Orange card or Paris, but it sounds like it is similar.

An OYSTER card is a plastic credit card sized device that you "load" either with cash for pay-as-you-go charges or with 1 day or 7 day travel card amount. The 2for1 thing complicates matters. To use those vouchers (which you should print out before you leave home) you have to have a PAPER travel card which are only sold at stations that service the TRAINS. Several stations (Victoria, St. Pancras/Kings Cross for example)service both the TUBE and TRAINS. To purchase a paper ticket you will need to go to an agent at a TRAIN station.

Where are you arriving and where are you staying? And how old are your kids because under certain ages they travel free with adults. Anyway, the 2for1 deal may not be worth the time and trouble it takes you IF you aren't near a train station. If you are near one, you might as well purchase your transport ticket there and be done.

You might look at the TFL (Transport for London) website to get familiar with Tube lines, fares, stations, etc.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

You are so kind and patiente in responding. We are staying in centric London, my daughter made Hotel reservation and i do not remember the hotel's name, children are 14,12,8 and 5 years old.
Because my daughter and children are presently in Buenos Aires , Argentina where they live
I cannot imagine how we can buy everything from Buenso AIres. They are arriving July 20 th,
I shall meet them there.
May be I can buy a paper travel card by email, and the proceed to by the same way the 2 by 1<?
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 10:17 AM

No, just get your travel cards when you arrive.

I wouldn't bother with the 2for1 deals probably.

Are you arriving at Heathrow? And how are you traveling from airport to hotel? You might be able to get your travel cards at the airport and be done with that. The agents at the TFL windows will help you sort out what you need for your amount of time there, where you are staying, and the ages of the people in your group.

Don't worry. It's good to be planning ahead, but not much needs to be actually purchased ahead.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again. It seems that after all we should not bother too much with the 2for 1, it is a pity but it seems we cannot print while in the hotel.etc.
We are arriving at Heathrow and I agree to get the travel cards right away probably the children do not pay for transportation, I am going to check, and may be the best would be to use the card right away in getting to town in an airport bus, I recall doing something of the sort ages ago.We might get all in a taxi, which I understand is not cheap from Heathrow. Nothing is inexpensive for us anymore.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 09:05 PM

The airport bus service you remember no longer runs. The usual cheaper public transport route into London is by the Underground (Piccadilly Line).

Your 5- and 8-year old travel free as long as they are with an adult. I'm not sure what the position is about the older children. If they lived here, they would normally need a special photo ID for child rates, but the administration fee for that is such that it probably wouldn't be worth it for short-term visitors, especially if they're not likely to be using the transport system on their own. I think you would best ask the desk clerk at the Heathrow Underground station.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all.Patrick I was reading what you tell me, and arrived to same conclusion that is to ask upon arrival. Hotel is located in Slone Square, I believe it is the Slone Square Hotel.
Do you think then upon arrival, that is two adults and four children which will be the best option to get to hotel? probably a taxi....it will cost how much apro? I am guessing 60 pounds , is this right....? thank you.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 06:33 AM

I suggest a car service. They will meet you as you exit the customs area and get you to the door of your hotel. Cheaper than taxi, just as fast or faster, and easier than riding the Tube (and they help with luggage). We used justairports most happily.

http://www.justairports.com/
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. We shall make reservations both ways. We cannot take the tube with children after such a long flight.