Search

Tours in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tours in Italy

Three week trip to Italy in September-October, don't want to constantly be doing tours but I want some advice on what NEEDS a tour (Last Supper, Colisuem, etc.) and what tours are recommended.

My wife and I enjoy doing a certain amount of exploring and museum going on our own, so Im looking for the essential or really special tours.

We'll be staying in and/or visiting Milan, Parma, Venice, Florence, Siena, Sorrento, Rome, Capri, Naples, Pisa, Pompeii and others along the way

Thanks for any help
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not a big fan of tours, as I almost always want to move more slowly through a place (and take lots of photos where allowed) than most people. Pompeii in a group tour drove us crazy, and we went back to explore on our own on a second trip. But we did take a half-day walking tour of Siena on our first visit there, and it was a great way to by-pass a couple of entry lines and get a general overview of the town, its history and art treasures in a short amount of time. And the best tour, by far, that we've ever taken was of the Scavi under St. Peter's in Rome. A request for a reservation needs to be sent several weeks in advance.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/in...090216_en.html

A tour that includes the Last Supper would be good if you can't obtain reservations on your own (which are essential). Otherwise, a tour is expensive considering you're only allowed to view the fresco for 15 minutes or less.

Wherever/whenever you don't take a tour, make sure you get timed reservations for any sight that offers them. Uffizi, Accademia, Brancacci, Palazzo Davanzati, or whatever you plan to see in Florence. The Leaning Tower climb in Pisa. Borghese in Rome.

If you want to go wine tasting/touring in Tuscany, you should have reservations. Most places do not accommodate drop-in visitors.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Colosseum: Took a scheduled underground plus upper level plus Palatine Hill and Forum tour, found it worthwhile as the underground is not available without a tour and it has been too many years since taking Ancient history to do it on our own.

Vatican: Unless you love hours standiong in a line and then wondering what you are looking at, a tour is worth it, but realize that you will risk a dumbed down commentary. Also, you won't be able to follow your own interests in the massive museum. Sort of worth it.

Palazzo Doria Pamphligij: (don't trust my spelling) Did a Saturday docent-led tour with period live music. Very worth it.

Pompeii: Rick Steves'd it, no tour or guide. Just fine.
Herculaneum: Ditto.
Naples Archeological Museum: Ditto.
Borghese Museum: Ditto.
Walking around Rome: Ditto.

Also snagged a 5 Euro Tour in the Public Interest from Context (Rome area, one a month) Docent-led exploration of Livia's Villa outside Rome (different site each month), very worth it.

Others may have other ideas.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Listen to Jean. Get reservations on line in advance or be at the mercy of whatever is left over when you get there.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you don't want to do tours, most of the places mentioned rent audio guides. Prices range from 5€-7€.