Search

Tours de Notre Dame questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tours de Notre Dame questions

The website for Notre Dame de Paris discusses the access to the towers as:

- The tour starts at the basis of the north tower, goes through the bookshop and up to the chimera gallery: 255 steps.
- Visit to the 'Bourdon' (Great Bell) and the south tower top: 147 steps.
- Down by the south tower flight of stairs.

So - do you know if that means you can go up 255 steps to the famous overlook of Paris with the moody chimera resting chin in hand, THEN make the descent without climbing any further?

Also - does the line queue outside the tower or inside the cathedral?

If I don't want the sun in my eyes (or camera lens) should I go up in the early morning? (I think I'm facing "west" if looking over at Eiffel, yes?)

Thanks for your expertise.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:54 PM
yk

Travelnut-

If you don't plan on climbing the extra 147 steps, I think it's possible. There's a "guard" who follows the group who makes sure that each group only stays 10mins or so per spot. I think the guard will let you wait at the gallery level instead of climbing further up. But you might want to check with the personel at the entry site before get in line.
The line is outside the tower, on the N side of the church (or to your Left if you're facing Notre Dame). If you're going in the winter, bundle up. Also, even if you have musee carte, you cannot jump the line at Notre Dame.
And yes, the gallery faces West, so you might be better off going in the afternoon.
Have a good trip.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 11:57 PM

Please be careful of pickpockets in and around the church. I had my passport and drivers license. Now I have learned to take duplicates with me, but my next day was spent in American Embassy getting another passport.
Good luck
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 03:38 AM
jenifer

Yep, it does face west as yk said, but that means you'd want to go in the morning as you thought - the sun will be behind you then, making for well-lit pictures.

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:03 AM

Ditto on suebent's comment on pickpocketers at Notre Dame. If you have expensive camera equipment and are concentrating on the perfect shot, you will be a prime target.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:26 AM
yk

Ooops, thanks jenifer for pointing it out. Yes, you want to go in the morning to avoid getting sun in your eyes. But if you want to take pictures of Notre Dame facade, it will be in the shade.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:50 AM
jenifer

Good point about taking pics of ND itself! The trip up the tower makes sense in the morning, but an afternoon visit back for pictures would be a good idea.

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

I am a simple tourist with a point/shoot, not a photographer with tripod, gear bags, etc. I am just maybe a little "AR" and want to go at the best time of day for the overview photo. I have been a few times and have pix of the outside, but that is a good point to bring up. No worries about pickpockets, unless they can pull up my shirt, untuck my camisole, reach into my pants and pull out my moneybelt without me knowing it
If I'm feeling 'game' I might go on to the next level to see the bell. (I did the 366 in Bruges for a heart-pounding experience).
Thanks to all - it's on my plan for a morning activity.