Reload this Page >

touring the white villages from Ronda, info needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Carla

hi<BR>we are staying in ronda for 3 nights in sept. (as part of our honeymoon) and would like to tour the white villages. which ones are the most recommended, can we do them all in one day, what is the best mean of transportation to do that (do we need to rent a car?)<BR>thank you

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:18 PM
HKTraveler

I did the tour based on the suggested route of the eyewitness guides. We used Seville as our base and regretted doing the trip in one day. It was a lot of driving and also difficult driving too since most part of the route are on back country roads. I would especially caution against driving at night. The white villages themselves are wonderful. I would highly recommend the trip but maybe another more informed reader can suggest two or three that you should visit instead of covering 7 or 8. After 3, i think you have seen a good selection and can probably spend the time to do something else.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:37 AM
CathyM

We based ourselves in Arcos for 2 nights and visited Zahara and Grazalema (and could have easily visited another) in a very leisurely day. You could do the same from Ronda. The next day we drove to Ronda and spent one night there. Be sure not to miss the Pileta cave just outside of Ronda. Unfortunately we did not make it inside. After walking to the entrance there was a sign clearly marked that the first 25 would be admitted. There were about 15 of us so we thought we were in good shape. There was no line, we were all on the honor system. When the guide appeared at the entrance to the cave a half hour later many people who had arrived after us quickly went in and there were about 10 of us left that couldn't get in. The next tour was not until 4 hours later and it didn't fit in our schedule. This was in October, not even high season. The caves are supposed to be spectacular so I guess I'll just have to go back!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:39 AM
CathyM

Forgot to answer your question on the car: we rented a car. I know this would be the best way to go but if for some reason you can't rent you may be able to hook up with a tour or local bus service. Of course, this would limit your flexibility.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Myriam

You will need a car to reach the really small villages like Oj&eacute;n (one of my favourites, still very unspoilt) or Monza. Also loved C&aacute;sares and Arcos de la Frontera. <BR>And Frigiliana, my top favourite, but too far away from Ronda (in the hills above Nerja).

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:13 PM
evelyntrav

Sentenil de la Bodegas is a sight... many homes and businesses are build under overhanging cliffs. It's an interesting stop for lunch, but no need to stay there. We drove through othere white towns on our way from Ronda to Seville, stopped at a few and just enjoyed seeing the others from the road. It's lovely to see the white buildings clustered together amid all the olive trees, yet I did not feel the need to explore each one. I cannot recall the names, but they are easy to find on a map if you are traveling to Seville. We had plenty of time for what we wanted to do for the day. If you are headed back to Ronda, it might be too much to do in one day.