Search

Tour or Car in UK?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour or Car in UK?

G'day all!
My husband and I will have about four weeks in the UK next May/June. We thought a week in London and then three weeks around the UK. We cannot decide whether to do a tour or hire a car.
We have not been to the UK before ( or further than NZ for that matter!) so we would love suggestions or the experiences of others to help our decisions.
We enjoy scenery and some history and just meeting people.

Thankyou
Rosie
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:29 PM

I can't imagine you're going to get a great deal of debate on the issue here. I'll put the conventional wisdom as impartially as possible.

For an Australian, taking someone else's tour of Britain is simply doollally. Full stop.

At a pinch, getting someone else to take you places you don't want to go to makes some sense for people with handicaps. Like the disabled. Those who can't speak English. People unable to drive on the proper side of the road.

You don't qualify under any of these headings (OK, you might have problems with real English. But since your compatriots have taken over our pubs, you'll always be able to find someone who speaks your language. Unlike us poor natives).

That's the nuanced, subtle version of the argument. Other posters will doubtless make it more forcefully.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:44 AM

It may take a bit of reading up guidebooks, but there is absolutely no reason why you can't see what you want to see at your own pace.

Hiring a car would give you a bit more flexibility than public transport, but it wouldn't take a lot more research into fares and timetables to get to almost all the places you're likely to want to get to without a car, and you'll be much more likely to meet people.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:46 AM

I have just seen on the Frommers website (sorry for mentioning the opposition) a recommendation about an excellent report giving reviews, advice and pictures of places throughout England and Scotland which you should find very interesting.
It includes some very good insights and pictures taken at various places. It is also very good for anyone else travelling to the UK as the pictures can give you a better insight than we can on the forum.
The photgraphs and the additional comments are very very good.

www.frommers.com/cgi-bin/WebX?128@@.eed91a1
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:22 AM

My vote would also go for renting a car. Coming from Oz you have several advantages:
- You are used to driving on that side of the road;
- You are probably used to a stick-shift/manual;
- Your driving skills are liekly to be such that you will be able to cope with the locals.

The above three factors distinguish you from residents of some other countries.

Also as the Liverpuddlian mentioned you do already speaj a form of the language

So take the freedom and rent a car
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Driving yourself - absolutely. The only exceptions would be if you had disabilities such as you couldn't handle you own luggage, or are too young (or less of a problem but still a consideration - too old) to rent a car.

You be able to go exactly where you want when you want - but even more important IMHO -- you aren't stuck in a coach w/ the same 45 people for 2 or 3 weeks, don't have to stay in "tour" hotels or eat in "tour" pubs/restaurants AND it will be less expensive.

Sold yet?
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Rent (hire) a car and do it yourself. You do not want to be trapped 3 weeks with a group of people who may/may not share your interests. Freedom to pick and choose what you see, when you see it (or not see it) is worth it's weight in gold.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Here's another vote for renting a car and driving where you want to go. I avoid tour groups because I do not want to be herded off and on a bus when someone else has decided that we've seen enough of a certain site. As far as driving, I drove for 15 days in the U.K. last year and after the first day it felt very natural. The only real fright we had was when my friend's husband was driving and went full speed into our first roundabout without stopping, with me panicking in the passenger seat while we missed other cars by an inch or two. I did all the driving after that and we had no more problems! (His wife was one of our group of five who seemed to be the most relieved when he relinquished the wheel...).
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Again, a vote AGAINST a tour. You will see more of the "real" Britain by yourself. If you really don't want to drive check out the trains - not as good as they used to be, but still a viable option even in to smaller places. You can probably buy a railcard, that will give you unlimited travel for a certain period of time. Stay in smaller places - rooms over pubs, bed and breakfasts (less fancy and less expensive than their US counterparts) etc. This should def. help you "meet people" (plus will be less expensive, if that's a concern!). There is history just about everywhere in Britain, even in the smaller villages. Have fun!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Would never even consider a tour in the UK. Don;t see any possible advntages - unless you're allergic to planning - and simply want someone else to organize everything for you and don;t care what you see/do - and getting up at ungodly hours every day.

Definitley do a road trip. And this is from someone who does drive on the correct side of the road. We had no problems even in London - which IMHO is nothing conmpared to NYC traffic.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Public Transport?
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks sooo much everyone! Naturally we thought the car thing the best way to go but being our first time we want to get the most out of the time we have. Yes we do drive on the left....we do drive a lot and would cope no worries... and YES we do speak English - quite well I might add! HeHe! I actually teach English!
Public transport will be great in London and perhaps for some short trips to busy cities nearby. We would rather the car as we will have a month in Italy and Switzerland using trains before going to the UK.
Thanks again for the great assistance...and thanks Meks for the link...much appreciated (said with my best ENGLISH accent!

Rosie