Reload this Page >

Tour Company From Paris to Versailles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 07:54 AM
A

Can anyone recommend a good tour company from Paris to Versailles. Cost? Website?

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 09:14 AM
Charlotte

Last summer my family and I took the tour from parisvision(parisvision.com). I also have looked up information on the website of cityrama.com. Hope these are a start of your search. The price depends whether you take a bus or minibus; whether you stay half a day or all day; and whether you have a personal guide.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 04:16 PM
Bob Brown

<BR>Versailles is quite doable on your own.<BR>Rer C to Versailles Rive Gauche, and walk a few hundred yards to the entrance. <BR><BR>But if a tour for you is a must for various reasons, then try this place:<BR>http://www.parisplus.com/parisdayexcA_O.html<BR>I took the tour to Fontainebleu and Vaux le Vicomte. It thought it was a good tour, but like most tours there was something I thought a waste of time.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 08:05 PM
Donna

Paris Plus is based in Texas and books tours for you with the tour companies in Paris at a markup. Be sure to read all the fine print regarding handling fees, minimum purchases, cancellations, much of which is not clear (except that no verbal commitment is valid). You can find descriptions and schedules at www.parisvision.com, www.cityrama.com, and www.touringscope.com, the major tour companies in Paris. Note that Cityrama has not updated their site with the Spring/Summer Schedule. Note also that the website prices are up to 15% higher (I compared prices when I returned home last June with all their brochures) at the websites versus booking after you arrive in Paris. Once in Paris, you can book at any of their offices, by telephone, or have someone at the front desk of your hotel make the arrangements for you. Typically, there are brochures for one or more tour companies in the lobby.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 09:51 PM
A

I Appreciate all the input. <BR><BR>As far as taking the RER to Versaille, since I've been hearing about the Worker Strikes in Paris, I don't think we should take a chance with public transportation. We also do not speak any French. I do appreciate any other input.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 03:33 AM
wendy

Cityrama and the other companies offer tours for transportaion to Versailles without a guide, with a guide for a 1/2 day or full day...if a strike and trusting the public transportation is an issue, these companies are reliable and get parking close than the train station and if you purchase a ticket when you book, no waiting in line.<BR><BR>I would do the tour of the chateau, and maybe even the 'train' that takes you on a tour of the property (with recordings in French and English)and also lets you hop on and off at your leisure...(but it won't take you to Marie Antoinette's 'Hamlet')...<BR><BR>What I really enjoy is renting the bikes from the vendor to the right of the Grand Canal across from the cafe, tying my picnic basket to the back of the bike and trundling off to see the property that way, stopping to picnic along the way or rowing out into the canal...

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 07:27 AM
Bob Brown

The strike was something I had not considered. If that is a factor, then your options are quite limited.<BR>You can, however, get to Versailles via the SNCF rail system from the station at <BR>Montparnasse. This station, however, is a little farther away from the gates to Versailles than the RER station.<BR>I don't speak French either, but talking the RER to Versailles was not a problem.<BR>We went to the RER stop at Invalides and took the RER train. The trains have names, so if you go by train look for one that starts with a V. Coming back you can take any train leaving Versailles Rive Gauche.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 09:41 AM
Randy

A: You will always hear stories about worker strikes in Paris, that's just the nature of the French. I would plan to use the RER and switch to plan B if a strike should present it's self. I would also recommend the 'train' ride around the gardens at the chateau, your feet will thank you.