Toulouse train station to hotel to airport --help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are currently in the Dordogne, and have finally figured out that our 11 am plane from Toulouse to London will require too much from our hosts, so we are going to take the train (sarlat, brive, ou gourdon to Toulouse).

Question 1: one night or two in Toulouse? We haven't been there before, but we also have our very busy 7 year old with us.

Question 2: What's the best transportation route and hotel location for us? I have read here that Ibis and Mercure are soul-less but cheap(er) and well located.

Trip report to follow after we get home in a couple weeks, although we mostly have been following ex-pats around and living like locals. I don't like to think about leaving but must. Thanks for any help!!
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 01:47 AM

Christy, Try Hotel Albert 1er, short cab from station but just behind Place du Capitole. Clean, friendly with rooms which sleep three. With a 7-yr old maybe one night would make the most sense, although there's a cute tourist tram he would like as well as about 90-minute boat tours on the Garonne and Canal du Midi.

This summer Toulouse has set up a plage along the river geared to families but I haven't seen it yet. I think if I were out in the country I would stay there the exta night but really depends on your interests. Depending on luggage, the hotel is a short walk to the shuttle bus to the airport or hotel would call a taxi, airport isn't far from town. www.hotel-albert1.com
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cath,
Thanks for the kid-friendly tips. I'm thinking one night now, although the train from Gourdon doesn't get in until 2pm.

I checked out the hotel, but it only offers two rooms for the 3 of us. Another one--Mercure? offers a jr. suite for 10E more. Let me know if there's something I'm missing. Perhaps the 3 person rooms are booked.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM

We've stayed at the Mermoz and the President - both easy 10 min walks from the train station and 10-15 mins from the middle of Toulouse. Easy taxi access to the airport. Don't know about accommodations for 3.

Are you in the Dordogne without a car??

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Could be the 3-beds are all booked, you might try phoning. I don't know the Mercure so can't help there.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Stu, I have very generous in-laws, who are kangoo-ing us all over. This afternoon to the Belves medieval fete. Tomorrow to horse lessons for our 7 y.o. They just brought us back from Collioure, which was totally unneccesary but very sweet. We're staying with them for another week, then home.

I think we'll go with the Mercure Wilson. Good location and the jr. suite looks like a decent deal. Thanks everyone!
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 06:40 AM

Lucky you !!!

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM

Mercure Wilson is very comfortable, and a great location. It's not as soul-less as the larger Mercures.

Not sure where you are in the Dordogne, but you can get the train at Brive or Cahors fairly ofen, Souillac or Gourdon less often (SNCF keeps dropping the small stations off the schedule to speed up service between large cities. ) If leaving from Sarlat you have to take a coach from Sarlat to Souillac - they are timed to meet the train.

In Toulouse, wander around the Capitole, the main square, have a look at the Jacobins, an amazing church, and drop by the Hotel Azezat, which has an art gallery, Gallerie Bemberg. Just before the Pont des Arts on the right.

There is sometimes a wonderful old Carousel/Merry go Round in the Place St Georges, but that tends to be more in the winter. A good place to have a bite and people watch though - we like the pizza there.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions Carlux. That will be about all the time we have. If there's a carousel in the area, my daughter will sniff it out!

We stopped by the Sarlat station just now and picked up tickets Gourdon-Toulouse. The times worked out for us. The "Discovery Family" train ticket prices are great. 43E for all 3 of us, 2nd class.