Toulouse - How much time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are two nights and one full day enough time to see the main sights in the central area? I could spend two days as well. I'm not necessarily interested in museums. I just like to wander and see architecture and people. I'm not interested in the aerospace attractions. I might want to take a cruise on the river.

I already know a lot of people don't like Toulouse, but I still want to go there.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 05:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I recently spent three nights in Toulouse, but my agenda was to relax, to recover from jet lag, and to go to some concerts at the September piano festival rather than to see as many sights as possible. If your main goal is to wander and see architecture and people, this could be done in one day, two days or more.

The central part of Toulouse is compact so you could walk around most of it in a day if you didn't spend too much time in cafes and you weren't going into any museums. If you want to take a river cruise, you should probably add some time.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 05:59 AM

We love Toulouse - been there several times. One full day is fine. Don't know how much time a cruise would consume, however.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 06:00 AM

Not sure about the cruise, but yes, two full days would be ample.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

The cruise is not crucial, only if I spent two days, I think. I'm spending time in Hamburg first and ending up in San Sebastian and I'm looking for a place in between. I can fly very cheaply from Hamburg to Toulouse. The question is really about an extra day in Hamburg or Toulouse.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 06:04 AM

The standard tourist cruise, no bookings required, takes about 90 minutes, cruising on the Garonne and the Canal du Midi. The commentary on the one we took last summer is in French but an English guide sheet is provided.

You don't say when you will be in Toulouse and I'm not sure how late in the year the cruises run. I agree a day or day and a half would be plenty to see the city center which has interesting, primarily brick, buildings and some pretty parks and squares.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

I will be there next May.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Just make sure you don't arrive late on a Saturday afternoon - shops close on Sundays & Monday morning also.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Actually, it will work out to a day and a half, so it sounds adequate from these comments.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM

it would be enough about anywhere, if you aren't intersted in doing anything but wandering around and not going to museums.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

I didn't say I didn't want to go to museums at all. Why did you even bother to reply? Thank you very much.