t'otel or swissôtel amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at t'Hotel, Amsterdam? What's the location like? Seems like a nice place. Between Swissôtel and t'Hotel, which one would be the most relaxing and quiet after flight from the states?
Thanks for advise.
Dari
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Didn't stay at 't Hotel, but walked past it going into the city center from the Hotel Toren, where we stayed, a couple blocks away. Beautiful and very convenient location, on a secondary canal with lots of shady trees. Small place with character and personal attention. It's quite new, in a building that was renovated completely.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 08:34 AM

If you want charm and quiet, hands down it's 't Hotel on the lovely little Leliesgracht.

Stayed at 't Hotel (shorthand for het Hotel, or the Hotel in English) in early April 2003. Got a beautiful large room at the front of the house, full of light and a nice view of the small canal. I understand that the back-of-house rooms are nice too, with a view of rooftops and a garden. The included breakfast was wonderful. The owners have an antique store on the street level and are a nicely quirky pair. CAUTION - there is no elevator, the stairs are seriously steep, and the breakfast room is down a short flight of steps in a below-street level area.
I dropped by 't Hotel in March 2004 but they did not have room for me. If you want to stay there, go soon - their reputation is spreading after a mention in Conde Nast Traveler.

The Swissotel is a much more commercial place in a much busier area. However, I have heard business associates give it high marks for its amenities, convenience and professionalism. I would stay there if it were the dead of winter and I could get a superior room at a bargain.

That's my two eurocents - hope it helps.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Dovina, thanks for your response,
We have reservations in May for t'Hotel, front room 2nd floor. I read your emails regarding the five flies restaurant. We'll give it a try.
We will be heading to Paris from Amsterdam. Last trip to Paris fall, 2002. Never been to Amsterdam. Any comments on what the cool hip 50ish women are wearing in Amsterdam and Paris now?
Thanks,
dari
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:00 AM

Hello dari,
It seems to me that women of all ages dress nicely, a little on the conservative side (comparatively, unless you are a 20-something rave-goer!) throughout Europe. What you don't see is "jogging" or "leisure" outfits unless you are actually jogging. A lot of nice coats and sweaters (it was cold when I was there). Leather definitely! If you are packing a fleece jacket or vest, make it black or charcoal grey. I wore mostly black or wool tweed pants, low-heeled boots, sweaters and a black leather jacket. I also took a heavier coat for more seriously cold/wet weather. I've done a variation on the same theme for warmer weather - works worldwide for me.

I think you will love 't Hotel. There is a little street noise in the mornings, but it's the nice kind - people chatting as they walk to work, bicycles going by, the occasional delivery vehicle. I've commented before that at night it was so quiet that I could hear the ducks on the Leliesgracht "talking" to each other.
The other restaurant I recommended in recent posts, De Luwte, is just about three doors down from 't Hotel.

Have a wonderful time. How I envy you!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your letting me benefit by Dovima,
Thanks for letting me benefit from your experience. The clothing suggestions are very appealing. Fits perfectly into my plan. I will definitly go for that look. Hope I can find good looking as well as comfortable boots as we plan on walking throughout Paris. A good restaurant just 3 doors down, super.

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 11:24 AM

You are so welcome, dari!
BTW, if you look at most maps of Amsterdam, the Leliesgracht is not named, although the canal might be pictured - that's how small it is. You will be pleasantly suprised at how close to Dam Square 't Hotel's location is, although it feels like it is much further because of the low-key, residential feel. You will be right on the edge of the Jordaan, one of the prettiest parts of the city. The owners of the hotel are very forthcoming with suggestions on places to eat - ask them, when I was there they had a list all printed up.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Dovima,
Thanks for addition info, we're really looking forward to our first vist to Amsterdam.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Dovina,
Can you recommend any jazz clubs in Amsterdam?
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 04:12 PM

Haven't been to any yet, but the very famous "Bimhuis" club is a place I've wanted to go to. They have moved recently, so I would look them up on the web. It's a pretty renowned venue - many artists have recorded live concerts there. The Melkweg ("Milky Way&quot is another club, a large one, with a changing roster which may include jazz - I don't know personally.

I looked at 't Hotel's website and, while they describe their rooms as "luxury", it's not a "luxurious" place in the usual, 5-stars and bellhops sense. Just charming, clean, unique and welcoming - which is its own type of true luxury, in my book.

Here's a useful website: "Amsterdam Hotspots". Sorry I'm not able to provide a link, but it has good info and reviews of nightclubs, restaurants, etc.