Torremolinos Report

Search

Torremolinos Report

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torremolinos Report

Hi to all, and especially to all that helped us on this board. We just returned from a five week stay in Torremolinos. We had a wonderful time. We went on a two week tour with GCT. This was our tenth trip to Europe, but the first time with GCT. We extended the tour three more weeks, so stayed a total of five weeks. The trip was very interesting. We left JFK on Iberian Airlines. Nice plane and they fed us better than the US flights, and the seating was good, as it was an Airbus 340 with 2, 4 and 2 seating. Had a window and aisle seat without anyone crawling over to get out. When we got to Madrid, there was a GCT rep waiting at the terminal, and helped us get to the right gate for the change to Malaga. We were glad to see her, as she knew that Madrid airport has a habit of changing gates just before boarding, which did happen to us. We had to almost run from one end of the terminal to the other. When we got to Malaga, GCT had busses waiting for us, and took us to the Bajondilla hotel. I guess we were lucky, as we got a room on the west wing in the middle of the fifth floor overlooking the pool and the entertainment stage, and a clear view of the beach and the sea. We had a box seat view of the entertainment, as we were right above the stage. It was nice to be in the afternoon shade. GCT gave us coupons for breakfast for the full 5 weeks, which was a full breakfast buffet. They also gave us two weeks of dine around coupons good for dinner at any one of 10 restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel. They lasted us almost all of the five weeks. We gained about five pounds each. I was amazed how many people take this tour. There were around 70 that came in with us, so they divided us into two groups. For the next 5 weeks, every thursday, two more groups would come in, and when we left, there were parts of a least seven groups still around. Some of these people have been coming for several years. Even at that, I think that we as Americans were in the minority of the many tours that were staying at this hotel. There were German, French. Danish, and even one tour from Iceland. We took some of the optional trips with GCT but it is easy to take day trips with other companies too. One was right in back of the hotel that had some trips too. Very inexpensive. We found that it was very easy to go anywhere on the coast. The train service is very good and inexpensive. The are many things to do there. Fuengirola had markets and swap meets every week. Malaga is only 15 minutes or so on the train, and so many things to do there. We took the train from Malaga up to Seville, and stayed there overnight. We took the GCT tour over to Morocco, which was a highlight of the trip. We stayed overnight in Tangier, and went through their market, and the casbah. They broke us up into small groups and we went to a small village, and had dinner with local families in their homes. The couple we ate with were Moslem, and could speak pretty good english. He was a high school teacher, and she was a hair stylist. They were very open about their lives and religion, so it was a very interesting evening. All in all, it was a most enjoyable trip, and very seriously thinking about it again next year. If any one needs more info on the Torremolinos area, we would be happy to help. We took side trips to Gibralter, Nerja, Rhonda, Granada, Mijas, which were all very good. The busses would pick us up in front of the hotel, and bring us back to the hotel at night, and most had lunch included. I noticed when we left, that the Bajondilla Apts were advertising rooms for 49 euros a night for November and December.

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:22 PM

It was refreshing to get your report as I am going to soon emabark on my 17th Grand Circle tour and at least 7 or 8 of them had been to the Bajondillo and we did used to stay 2 or 3 months in the winter. As you found, it is a very hospitable place and very welcoming to go back again and again. It seems like a lot of folks do not like Torremolinos ( I think they don't give it a chance) and it has certainly evolved through the years as originally did not include any meals so preparing breakfast on the 2 burners in the efficienty became a challenge. So got to love the breakfasts later and the dine around. Although I have not liked the change at the Guadalupe restaurant around the corner from the Bajondillo as it was a family affair before and now is a full class restaurant (lost it's charm). And we always also did a lot of the LOCAL tours, found them much less expensive than the GCT ones, however multilingual. All in all, the Bajondillo has always been a special place in my heart. Glad you enjoyed it AND Torremolinos. Halfpint
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Forgot to mention, the very best of the Bajondillo always was the entertainer DOREEN and I believe she still comes up for the Wednesday Sangri party which I am sure you enjoyed. The entertainment was always top notch. Halfpint.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Goodness, I am so gald to read some positive comments about Torremolinos. I lived there for over seven years back when the Grand Circle Program at the Bajondillo first started. And, that is how long I have known, Doreen, who is mentioned in Halfpint's comments. To this day we remain close friends. We will be returning again this year for about two months starting about January 20th. We try to go every year and we manage to meet a lot of the same friends year after year. People love the place, especially the social life.
Torremolinos is convenient to use as a base for a lot of side trips. Every year we manage either Seville, Cordoba, Ronda etc.. This year we hope to book a flight to barcelona with Vueling.

By the way, Halfpint, a lot of the Grand Circle crowd are now going to the new Europa restaurant. The new site opened in March this year. Also, the local fish restaurants continue to be good. I do hope that a lot of readers will not be put off by the negative comments about Torremolinos. There is fun to be had in that town.

Sborder, I enjoyed reading your trip report and like you I would be happy to answer any questions I can about this area.

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 03:06 PM

Raydotman, I just knew this one would bring you out of the woodwork, ha ha. Glad to hear you are going back again and please give Doreen my best. We both agree about that place AND Torremolinos. Have a great one. Halfpint (or Mary Jayne)
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Hi Mary Jayne

Good to hear from you and your comments about the Bajondillo and Torremolinos. Where are you going this year?? If it is Torremolinos, we must meet for coffee or... I have heard from several friends who plan to make it there this winter. Of course we will all be impoverished so I plan to bring a jar of peanut butter!
Send me an email if you want more news of Doreen.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

We had our welcome dinner at the Guadalupe, and weren't real impressed. The Europa was ok. We liked the buffet at the Don Pablo the best. We ate there most of the time. I guess we didn't meet up with Doreen, or we missed the Shangri party. We did get home with a small bottle of Sangri, but haven't opened it. Phil and Anna Marie are doing most of the entertainment now, with some flamenco dancers. Some nights some of the guests would play a little. Had a bagpiper from Scotland played a few times, also a German guest played the accordion a couple times. The main restaurant has closed but the bar has good lunches. I think we were lucky all around. We were in Torremolinos for the Festival. There was a two hour parade and beautiful floats and native dress. A lot of floats had beer, and if you had a glass, they would pour some for you. A few days later, they had the procession of San Miguel, with bands and the Icon from the church on a large silver float. It was quite interesting to see the growth going on all the way from Torremolinos to Gibraltar. High rises and apartments everywhere. One of the guides said the state bird was the construction crane. I counted seventeen cranes on one large project. I have no idea where all the people are coming from to live there. One guide said a lot of British and northern Europeans are buying in. I did notice that Americans are a minority on most of the outside tours, and also in the restaurants. I wonder if it has something to do with our declining dollar. One lady tipped a boy with a couple quarters, and he gave them back. Skip from Montana
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 05:22 PM

I really do enjoy your reports. At the present time Doreen is not doing the Sangria party. She has had leg surgery and is recuperating. I should tell you that the Grand Circle program has been operating in Torremolinos since 1974 and was the first company to send groups to the Bajondillo. I know both Phil and Ana Maria since my husband and I patronize Ana's bar which is just a few steps away. I agree with you about the Guadalupe and while the food at Europa is not spectacular a lot of the Americans from Grand Circle seem to love it. And yes, the American tourist is fast becoming a rarity. I am sure the decline in the dollar coupled with the rapid rise in prices in Spain and in Europe in general have caused Americans to stay home.
We rent an apartment and do breakfast, lunch and some dinners at home. Otherwise we could not afford it.
I have a lot of British friends who are expatriates. It is amazing how many condos and houses on the Costa del Sol and inland are being sold to Brits and to other foreigners. Europe seems to be awash with people with money.
One thing, though...I would never tip anyone outside of the US in American dolars or coins. It is rude.
Anyway, as I have said, I am very happy to find someone who has enjoyed a visit to Torremolinos.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Helen
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 11:24 PM

>>>One lady tipped a boy with a couple quarters<<<

Arenīt those coins? Banks donīt even exhange coins.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:35 AM

Yes, quarters are coins. They are worth 25 cents or one quarter of a dollar. And you are correct. Banks do not exchange coins. I think tips should be given in the local currency. To do otherwise seems rude and also inconveniences the recipient who must look for ways to exchange the largesse.