Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mohonk Mtn Resort:New Paltz, NY: heavenly vacation report

Mohonk Mountain Resort:New Paltz, NY
heavenly vacation report

www.mohonk.com

We had an excellent experience here at the end of June 08....finally catching up on summer trip reports ! - arrived in New Paltz by car from MA, bought our provisions and checked in via the main house to our cottage on the golf course - our kids arrived that night from NYC via a convenient bus (leaving frequently from the city to New Paltz, an approx 90 minute ride, dropping them about 10 minutes from the resort)

We picked them up and ate at the Locust Tree - www.locusttree.com
thanks to a fellow fodorite - thanks gb944 great choice ! Excellent menu, nice wine,
great ambiance - we started outside in the garden but as it cooled down (and a few bugs who of course go only for my husband) we moved inside to the bar for dessert and after dinner drink - perfect start.

We did not stay in the main house, so I can not speak to that experience, although
we did ask and were shown a few rooms for future reference ( immaculate, with great views of the lake, mountains and balcony complete w/ the requisite rocking chairs) and we did eat lunch and dinner at some of their restaurants, but were not on the 3 meal plan.

We rented the golf cottage, situated to the side, between the putting green of the first hole and the tee box of the second hole - it was fabulous! The original golf clubhouse -
if you go to the web page and to accomodations-cottages- you can see all the choices including the Golf Cottage: which gave us what we were looking for: living/dining area for congregating, playing board games, etc: full kitchen for breakfasts and a few bbq dinners with the grill provided on the porch; one huge master and bath down, 2 br’s, 1/2 bath and second porch/deck above.

We were looking for a family vacation -one our daughter could easily reach from her job in NYC - and there are constantly buses from NYC to New Paltz, a 90 minute ride, which lands a ten minute drive from the resort - if you don’t have a car, resort will do pick up.

The web site speaks for itself - so many options, for all ages - and we saw many family reunions, weddings, vacationing families, and smaller groups of couples/friends.

The facilities and activities we participated in :
Platform tennis: fabulous ! Had only played traditional tennis and we had a ball playing for hours: parents v kids, guys v. gals, you name it - and lots of laughing.

Hiking: we took several hikes of varying intensity - some of us also did the bouldering trail. The views are magnificent, breathtaking, with plenty of nice stops with covered seating along the way to stop and really enjoy. We saw tons of deer families, birds, turtles, and yes, a few snakes.

Spa: Fabulous. Everyone enjoyed a few treatments, the steam and saunas and hot mineral pool outside, as well as the co-ed area with fireplace and comfy chairs - and the individual areas for male/female with lounges and great teas/snacks/drinks. Beautiful locker rooms with all the necessary amenitites.

Lake/boats: we enjoyed the old wooden row boats, the paddle boats and canoes -
a nice, easy, safe are to paddle around in - nothing challenging but very calming and enjoyable.

Horseback riding: typical resort ride, in a line, nice horses, amazing views - not for those looking for rides you have more control over or challenging ones - but a lovely way to spend an hour or so.

Golf: we golfed on their 9 hole course, in excellent shape, with just enough challenges for me - included during the week, minor charge on weekends, also have fine rental clubs if you don’t want to lug your own - and the two adult children who do not golf often enough to have their own golf shoes are allowed to wear sneakers so that was a plus.

Gardens: and the greenhouse are gorgeous - nice rose garden, groomed maze, flowers and planting are amazing.

Inside the main house: highlights: the decor and architecture, the house tour, the bird watching room, library, and the music room where we heard several great bands, quartets, etc during the late afternoon and evenings

Dining: we ate breakfast in our cottage, lunch at the grill which had some of the best deli
I’ve had except for in the city- dinner in New Paltz and once in the main dining room of the house - where jacket is required - and the dining experience and food were a night to remember - although the dining room itself looks like it could use a bit of a pick up in the decor, it was so reminiscent of old school dining it worked fine - and not a complaint about the food and as my son said, he didn’t even think he had to chew his meat, - of course not, it had been soaking in a red wine reduction forever and was delish.

Rocking Chairs: rocking chairs, everywhere ! lined up along the porch overlooking the water or gardens - perfect for reading or just zoning out or even a short snooze.

We did not do the outdoor bbq/grill at the Granary: since we did not do the meal plan, the price for that separately we thought outrageous for bbq/etc but it did look good if we were staying in the main house and it would have been included -

We did not take a carriage ride, or use the basketball court, or a zillion other opportunities -
but the ice skating pavillion looks gorgeous and I can imagine it in the winter with the large stone fireplace at the end in full swing and serving cocoa and s’mores.

Evening outdoor movies: with families lined up along their decks in the rocking chairs and kids on the lawn with snacks/picnics was a sight to see !

Not much night life here - everyone seems to be early to bed, early to rise - there is a small bar near the dining room for a nightcap - but other than that you won’t be clubbing until 1am at this resort - which was fine with us for the type of trip we were looking for.

So we had one dinner at Locust Tree, one in the fine dining room at Mohonk, lunches at Mohonk grill, and a few bbq’s at our cottage and one downtown before a movie at the Gilded Otter Brewing Company.

We would highly recommend this vacation spot - we may try the main house next time -
our entire family kept commenting on how lovely it would be to see this spot in the fall, oh and in the winter, and in the spring......you get the picture ! Anytime of the year if this is the type of vacation you are looking for -

we wanted some quality time together after one finished college and started heading out where we find things for everyone to do together and space to ‘space out’ when we wanted - and this provided everything we were looking for and more -

So often people are looking for a spot for a family of many ages or generations and this would work extremely well for that - or a group of friends with different interests who want to vacation together and have some time together and some apart -

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM

Glad the hear that the Locust Tree worked out for you.

Funny, I have lived 10 miles from New Paltz for more than 20 years and never saw it as a vacation spot. Thanks for giving me a new perspective!
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Glad you saw the shout out to you - I felt awful it has been so long until I am finally posting the trip report -
I am glad you know how much we enjoyed your recommendation -

Also the nature trails were so gorgeous - and since you are so close- do you know there is a public parking lot with access to the trails and hikes and all those gorgeous vistas? To live so close and not take advantage during foliage season would be a shame - and you can have dinner after at Locust Tree !
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
HKP

Glad you posted this. There have been a number here who pooh-pooh Mohonk as "old" and/or "old-fashioned, stodgy." I think it's a great place for a variety of people. Glad you enjoyed it.

(but PS: any idea why it's tagged "Massachusetts"?)
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

HKP: I don't know why it is tagged MA - I'll email Katie and ask her to change it - it was likely my mistake - I was trying to catch up on a bunch of trip reports -

I did have several people say 'oh, that is old, I went there decades ago with my family - it's like an old catskill kind of thing' -

yes, it was reminiscent- it is how it all started - it reminded us of the Balsam's in NH we have also enjoyed -but everything was top notch, great employees/service/tour guides for the house tour were amazing - I think this place is a treasure and we will definitely return at a different season !
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 03:44 AM

I have always wanted to go to Mohonk. Your report will add further encouragement.

As a recent convert to platform tennis (aka "paddle) myself, I encourage you to pick it up at home. It is so great to be outdoors in the fall and winter playing the game. My recollection is that you are from Boston, and I know that it is played in your area. Alot of us long-time tennis players don't even play indoors in the winter anymore due to our new love of paddle. (saves alot of money that way, too)
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

I will have to look for some paddle courts around here - we had so much fun - one of the courts was in good shape - the other (I wasn't on it but saw it) looked like it could use a little TLC - I would imagine it is hard to keep those up in Boston area with snow, etc - unless they cover them - but you have inspired me to do some investigating on that one- and learn more about "paddle" - I played tennis years ago, quit with a back injury that has since been resolved yet never went back - this might be my new sport !
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM

paddle courts have heaters under them, so when it snows, someone just shovels it off and then the heaters dry it up. same thing for the rain. no covers at all.

paddle is really fun as mixed doubles. Power is not used the way it is in tennis, and once you know the screens, it neutralizes the opponents use of power.

If you want to take up paddle, it is really worth taking some lessons or clinics as the positioning is really important, probably even more so than in tennis.

Sorry for the digression from your Mohonk report!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM

oh forgot to say that paddle is actually played more in the north than the south because it is a cold weather sport. The ball bounces completely different in the cold than in the heat.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

I'm intrigued and on a mission....