Reload this Page >

Torino/ Turin - recommendations for a weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 09:46 AM
jac

My husband has to go to Torino at the end of January for work and I want to join him for the weekend. How would you recommend we best spend this time ? I have searched on this forum re the city and there seem to be mixed opinions. Previously we have visited Cinque Terre, Rome, Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Sicily. We love Italy and want to experience some more of its magic. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 11:13 AM
jeannine

You are very close to the Alps--take a drive up to Val D'aosta--its very pretty. Breuil-Cervinia is the Italian side of the Matterhorn. Its not Switzerland, but hey what the heck--while you are there, go for it. You can ski if you like to ski. Turin is hosting the 2004 Winter Olympics so they are trying to 'jazz' up the City. <BR>Try Cambio restaurant in Turin--one of the best meals I've had anywhere. <BR> <BR>Is your husband in the Auto Industry? <BR>Turin is Detroit of Italy. The T in Fiat is for Turin. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 11:59 AM
KT

Do you like museums or architecture? Torino has a good art museum, the Galleria Sabauda, and a world-famous Egyptian(!) Museum. Also some interesting Baroque churches and palaces and piazzas.

Old Dec 23rd, 2000, 03:19 AM
jac

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Jeannine, I'm Australian so am not sure what you mean by the Detriot of Italy. I do know that it's an industrial area though. No, my husband is not in the car industry - he's a sales engineer in the semi-conductor industry and the main supplier he works with is located in Torino. Do you have an address for the Cambio restaurant you refer to ? Any particular dishes you would recommend ? <BR> <BR>Thanks also to KT. I don't mind a museum here & there, so if I come while my husband is working, I may visit one. My husband, however, would be more interested in skiing or just touring. Any more suggestions for where to go/ what to do would be appreciated. Ciao.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 03:53 AM
jac

any more ideas anyone ? what about getting the train to venice ?

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 01:12 PM
anne

We just spent a few days in Turin and the Piedmont area in Dec.-Jan. Some favorites: Walking under the grand arcades that run alongside miles of the streets downtown - window-shopping (didn't find any "bargains" there), and stopping for coffee, pastries, or chocolate at one of the many elegant cafes. <BR>Turin has a lot of info online, and we especially enjoyed the do-it-yourself walking tour of "Roman, Medieval and Renaissance Turin". Their website is http://www.comune.torino.it/turismo/ <BR>A local drink- bicerin (coffee, chocolate, and cream) is best from the tiny old cafe where it was invented. It's in most guidebooks - let me know if you need details. <BR>If you can get out of town - a car would be a prerequisite, I think, the medieval towns of Saluzzo, Alba, Barolo, La Morra, Asti, and others are definitely worth a visit - for the food as well as the scenery. <BR>Enjoy!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Anna

I would strongly recommend the Hotel Hermitage in Cervinia - non-skiiers will love the food, service & spa. For skiiers you have the additional advantage of both Cervinia's and Zermatt's ski slopes.