Reload this Page >

Need Info on Germany

Search

Need Info on Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 01:16 PM
pat

Need Info on Germany

will be flying into Frankfurt on May 3rd and <BR>need info on traveling by car on the Romantic road and Austria and Switzerland. Will the weather be good and accomodations available.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Sjoerd

Germany is a very strange country: as far as I know it is the only place where they don't plan the weather 4 months in advance.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Tony

The weather in May may well be O.K. bearing mind it is Spring and not high Summer. Expect some showers, but also plenty of sunshine. <BR>Accomodation will be easily available with no real need to book ahead.In Switzerland and Austria the scenery will be enhanced by snow on the high ground but the occasional mountain road may still be closed (by snow) so best to check with your hotels or tourist information offices before going too high. <BR> <BR>Sjoerd.. Whats upset you today?

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Russ

Here's a website for Weikersheim Palace in the town by the same name, just a bit north of Rothenburg on the Tauber River and the Romantic Road. It's not very well known outside Germany, but it's quite a place, and the town is quite a nice one, too. <BR> <BR>www.schloesser-magazin.de/eng/wk/wkthe.htm

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 07:31 PM
All-knowing

Sjoerd, <BR> <BR>Let Me apologize for all these years that I have not been letting you in on the weather forecast for Germany. I thought it was enough to tell Tony Albury, and he could spread the word to all other humans. I have a lot of other planets to think about, you know (Yes, there is intelligent life on a fair number of them, but none evolved to the point of this forum yet). <BR> <BR>On May 4, it will be beautiful in parts of Austria. Thus, from Frankfurt, Pat needs to drive like a bat out of (well, I never actually use that word, you know) - - to get there to enjoy it. In much of Germany and Switzerland, I have a few surprises planned. <BR> <BR>On May 5, I wasn't planning to pay too much attention to Europe, as it is Derby Day in Louisville, Kentucky. I love to see who wins that thing. Hey, I don't control EVERYTHING. <BR> <BR>On May 6, there will be an explosion of sun spots which will muck up (it's a new millennium, I have decided I can use THAT expression) computerized reservation systems all over Europe. The good news is, it won't matter that Pat didn't book anywhere ahead since the information will get lost anyway. The bad news is that there will be pandemonium in Geneva, when hundreds of arriving guests find out that their $600 a night room(s) will show up as "not ready yet", since they all seem to be booked into the same suite 201. <BR> <BR>I would continue on, but I might be accused of being "verbose". <BR> <BR>Best wishes... <BR> <BR>Your Friendly Almighty <BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 06:48 AM
pat

Wow the info was so intertaining now I know <BR>where not to post questions. I guess <BR>people who don't know how to travel know how to type. <BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Heather

Pat, I cannot answer your question regarding weather in May, as we visited in November. However, www.wunderground.com offers a great section on historical weather. <BR> <BR>We drove from Frankfurt down the Romantic Road and stayed along the way at Rothenburg and then just near Reutte, Austria. We booked both hotels in advance, but with the light crowds we could've gone without reservations. If you are interested, our hotels were http://www.gerberhaus.rothenburg.de/ and http://www.schluxen.com/welcome/default.htm. I would recommend both places, especially the latter as the food was outstanding. <BR> <BR>Also, the car rental agencies in the Frankfurt airport should have detailed maps of the Romantic Road. Doing a quick search on the Internet, I found interesting info at www.romanticroad.com. Remember to keep in mind that the Romantic Road actually is comprised of multiple routes and is not one highway. Therefore, your navigator needs to keep an eye on the map and a lookout for the tiny brown RR markers. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps a bit. Have a great vacation!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Zoe

Hi Pat <BR>Many people advise against staying in Rothenburg as it is very touristy. But actually, this is the very reason you should stay! Many tourists are day-trippers and in my opinion, much of the magic of Rothenburg can be glimpsed in the early morning or late evening. We stayed at the lovely Reichs Kuchenmeister Hotel. Very friendly hosts, good food, great room and good location. I recommend the Nightwatchman's Tour - a costumed historian will take you round the town, telling stories from the past.