Top Three Positano Hotels

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top Three Positano Hotels

I've gone back over years worth of postings, trip reports and reviews. I am nearly ready to jump off of the cliff of commitment.... after one final query.

This is a survey. We are not staying long enough to rent a private villa. I'd love to know Fodorite's favorite three hotels in Positano. If you could stay in any hotel at all for a few nights in late April, which would it be?

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:32 PM

this is probably not going to help you at all.
Ive stayed at only the Miramare - it was very nice, but we stayed in the annex..which I wouldnt recommend. The main hotel was much nicer.
My advice really is. . . that your memories are going to be made in the city of Positano, not in the hotel. Positano is wonderful - so any one of the recommended hotels you pick will be not be a mistake. As long as its a comfortable, convenient place with a bed and terrace youre all set! Dont go crazy trying to chose!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

No, it really does help. It's good to know that it's hard to go wrong.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:47 PM

I'm headed to Positano in September and we are staying at the Marincanto. I drove my fiancee crazy when I was trying to decide where to book so I feel your pain.

I'm guessing that most folks have not actually stayed at three different Positano hotels.

The three that I really liked when I did my research were (reason I didn't chose in parenthesis)

Eden Roc (too high)
Le Sirenuse (too expensive)
Marincanto...just right.

Maybe you should let us know which hotels you are considering or you are going to get 15 recommendations that do not include the two you are deciding between and then you will really be confused.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

My top two favorites based on reviews and photographs are Le Sirenuse and The Hotel Poseidon. I know that there is quite a price difference, but we are willing to splurge if Le Sirenuse is not to be missed.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:47 PM

I can't say whether Le Sirenuse is worth the $$, since we've only had drinks there. But we have stayed at Hotel Poseidon 3 times, and it is still one of my favorite hotels.

The only negative thing I can think to say about The Poseidon, is that in some of the standard categories, the rooms are a little small and dark.

We've stayed in their jr. suites, which are very nice- simply decorated but comfortable, with a large terrace overlooking town.

The service at the hotel is very intimate and warm. Sometimes you may even feel like a returning family member instead of a houseguest.

And the food is some of the best we've had in Italy, with gorgeous views from the terrace to match.

Since you're going in April, it probably won't matter much to you that the pool is what I'd call an oversized bathtub. But I thought I'd mention it, anyway.

Hope you have a great time!

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. To illustrate what a micromanager I am, one reason that I am leaning toward the Posiedon, aside from the excellent reviews and highly praised restaurant is that the hotel is positioned so the morning sun hits the terraces and balaconies. Since late April can be on the cool side, I thought having breakfast on the terrace in the warm sun would be a real delight. I know, I know. Get the net.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 02:34 PM

Marcia Cubed:

What is wrong with THAT? I think it is a great idea. There are much worse reasons for picking a place to stay IMO.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM

I prefer the top 4 star hotels and not the overpriced luxury places. My choices would be Poseidon and Palazzo Murat. The latter is locted much lower in town and that can be important.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 03:09 PM

Another vote for the Poseidon. We went there on recommendation of people who had been Sirenuse regulars but switched when prices started to rise.
Low key but charming. My husband who had stayed at Sirenuse BF (... Before Me) was equally pleased.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. The Poseidon it is. Something about the website and the reviews that just sound so charming.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 07:12 PM

I think you'll be very happy at The Poseidon. We've always had a wonderful time there. I just wanted to mention in case you didn't already know this that it is a steep uphill walk from town. If you have walking or knee problems, that can be an issue generally in Positano. However, we just looked on it as an excuse to eat more at The Poseidon's fabulous restaurant!
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Weadles. We were going to stay in Ravello for that reason. My mom's knees give her some trouble. Last week my parents decided to meet us in Rome and skip the Amalfi Coast so we decided to stay in Positano. Maybe I'll work off a bit of that pasta. I love Italian food but I might as well just spackle to my backside. How do those Italian ladies stay so thin?
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:49 AM

I don't think you'll be breakfasting outside in April. I've stayed at the Poseidon & liked it, but wouldn't see any point in staying there when the weather is cold - it's all about sitting outside enjoying the view.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:05 AM

I think you have a decent chance at having some warm weather in Positano by the end of April. But just in case, bring along a pashima or wrap so that you can sit outside and enjoy the views!
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Can't scare me Caroline, we're made of hearty stuff up here on the New England coast. It's evening here now, 65 degrees with a breeze off the Atlantic. With a good sweater it's still my definition of delightful. I don't love scorching heat, but a spectacular morning view and a cup of Joe is to die for!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:04 AM

Oh well, fair enough. I guess I'm more of a wimp - even though I live in Edinburgh, I found it cold in Ravello in June. It could be rainy in April though.

Actually, I suppose it's becausae I live in Edinburgh that it's very important to me to have holidays in hot weather and I won't stay anywhere without a balcony - just because we very rarely sit outside at night at home.

Cup of Joe ?
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Joe = Coffee in Americano! I'd love to visit Scotland. We never go anywhere in the summer because it's so beautiful here. Our summer is so short we hate to miss a minute of it. I'm not worried about the rain either. According to the averages April rainfall is 2.5 inches. That's not nearly enough to put a damper on our vacation.