Top 5 lists for what to see in Seville/Granada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I am looking for YOUR top (5) list of what to see in both these cities. We will have relatively few days (maybe 2 in Seville, 1 in Granada). I would like to also rent a vespa, if anyone knows of some beautiful countryside to recommend. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

raiderjane
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 08:31 AM

Looking forward to the responses, as we are also headed there.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 08:48 AM

Take your pick

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/seville#
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/granada#
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi raiderjane,

you mean apart from the alhambra in Granada then? [not made it to Seville yet, so I'd be interested in that too!].

seriously, the alhambra, both day and night visits - is a definite must - excuse the tortology. there are a number of ways of organising the visit, but we found that the way we ended up doing it [mainly by chance] worked very well. we hadn't planned to go to the night visit, but as it was a nice evening [it was November] we decided to try it, and got tickets straight away. the great advantage of going in the evening, apart of course from the chance to see the beautify buildings lit up, is that they allow far fewer people into the Nasrid palaces [the only part that opens at night] so you get a much better view and impression than you can with the crowds of the daytime. afterwards, we went back to our hotel [the Guadalupe, opposite the Alhambra] and had a very nice dinner.

we had booked our tickets for the next day on line, and had time for the nasrid palaces of about 10.30. [you've got 30 minutes from the time on your ticket to present yourself at the gate of the palaces; if you miss your slot, they may deny you entry]. that gave us time to have breakfast, and wander slowly through the grounds down to the palaces in good time. after that, we toured the rest of the main site, had some lunch at the kiosk, and then made for the Generalife, which i suppose we left at about 3pm.

we then caught the bus from outside the Alhambra all the way up to the Albercin, [which gave our feet a rest] had a drink up there, then walked back down to the town where we stopped for tapas. just behind the main square is a street full of bars and restaurants - our favourite was the pulperia, featuring everything you ever wanted to know about octopus, but.....

we then walked back up to the hotel - you can catch a bus from the square, but we wanted to look at the shops on the way.

can't remember what we did for supper - it can't have been particularly memorable.

somewhere in this, we fitted a walk around the city, the cathedral, etc.etc., but I can't remember how!
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Sevilla.. carriage ride as soon as you get there.

flamenco at "casa de la memoria"

Second floor of Casa de Pilatos

La Caronería amateur talent cave/ night spot
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 02:33 PM

Sevilla:
-the Catherdral
-the bull ring
-the Alcazar
-just sit in the plaza on a Friday night

And the Alhambra is an absolute must. The cathedral in Granada is pretty amazing too.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 04:41 AM

I absolutely enjoyed the Cartuja in Granada & it's spendor but also because you could stand close to see everything in detail rather than from a distance like in The Cathedral in Sevilla. No cordoned areas. It is rather small and does not need too much time FYI but I prefered it over many other sights.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 05:22 AM

Agree on the cathedral and the Alcazar in Seville. be aware that in some ways the interior rooms at the Alcazar are VERY similar to the ones you'll see at the Alhambra...not that you shouldn;t go to both.

What you might CONSIDER doing is having an evening meal on the terrace at the parador in Granada ( you do not have to be staying there to eat there) which OVERLOOKS the Alhambra...magical IMO.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 05:24 AM

The nicest thing in Sevilla is to walk to the city. The city itself is the main attraction.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 06:03 AM

make that "La Carbonería"
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 07:06 AM

The Alhambra in Granada and the Alcazar in Seville. (OK, those two are obvious, but they live up to their reputations.)

What time of year will you be there? If it's not too hot, Aduchamp1 is right - walk around Seville. Interesting architecture and lovely gardens.

Same thing for Granada - walk around the Albayzin and admire the view from the Mirador San Nicolas.

I was in Seville and Granada during Corpus Christi so I really enjoyed both cathedrals during services for the holiday but, otherwise, not so much - except for the bell tower in the Seville cathedral and the Capilla Real in the Granada cathedral.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 04:54 AM

1. Cathedral Giralda

Avda. Constitución (Santa Cruz)

The third largest cathedral in the world, after St.Peter´s in Rome and St. Paul´s in London, and the world´s biggest gothic building. Impressive architectural heritage with huge Interior of the Cathedral, which contains a large collection of artwork: amongst others paintings of Murillo and Zurbarán, goldsmithery of Juan de Arfe.
There also supposed to be the tomb of Christopher Columbus, yet to be prooved by FBI examination.

2. Plaza de España

Parque Maria Luisa, Avda Isabela la Católica, s/n

A part of María Luisa parc is one of the most beautiful momuments of Sevilla. The architect Anibal Gonzalez chose bricks as the main material to be used, in combination with tiles and marble columns.There is also an artificial lake in its center and is flanked by two towers. The whole construction is very impressive in size, presentation and architecture. The building's style today is called Sevillian Regionalism.

3. Parque de Maria Lusia

Incorporated into the city for the Iberoamerican Exhibition of 1929 is now Seville's principal green area. Full of various flora species and romantic alleys is definietly one of the most beautiful parcs in Europe. The rest of the pavillions around the park, built in neocolonial style, create an outstanding entirety.

4. Reales Alcazares

Patio de Banderas s/n

This 10th century magnificent example mudéjar architecture (mudéjar - a Spanish Moor, one permitted to stay in Spain after the Christian reconquest). The Royal Palace with outstanding grounds and gardens in Arabic style is still a vacation spot for the King and Queen.

5. Italica

Avda. de Extremadura, 2 (Santiponce)

Birthplace of Roman emperors Trajan and Adrian, Italica is a 15 minute bus ride from Seville in Santiponce village. The amphitheater is the most important site of the ruins, but it is also worth walking the old streets which are full of ruins of houses , public buildings and other pieces of acient artwork.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 06:40 AM

The Arab baths in both cities! I visited both the bath in Granada (Hammam de al Andalus, Calle Santa Ana 16) and the one in Sevilla (Aire de Sevilla, Calle Aire 15). They are both magnificent! Hot baths, cold baths, salt baths, steam rooms, mint tea, Arab music, uncrowded, candles everywhere in ornate Moroccan lamps, heated marble, massages...all within the most beautiful surroundings!

It so unbelievably calming, by the time you're done you will literally ooze out the door. Of course there are many "must sees" in Andalucia but those baths are the things I think about and miss every single day back here in the U.S.

Check out the website for Aire de Sevilla: http://www.airedesevilla.com/ And yes it's not just the photography, they are really that beautiful in person!
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks everyone!! I am going to print and research! If there are any more suggestions, feel free to keep them coming!!!

ciao,
raiderjane
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 06:53 AM

Any ideas for where to go on the vespa? Anybody done the vega via vespa?

yours truly,
raiderjane