too far to drive in ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on spending a weekend in Dingle in Sept and then leaving on the monday to drive back to Dublin for another few nights stay. I had planned to break the driving up and stay somewhere en route, but can't find good options. I was considering Adare but have read bad reviews on this board, and Limmerick sounds like a big town I can do without since I'm on my way to Dublin. I don't really want to drive back south since I'll be in Kilkenny/Kinsale.

We've driven in the UK before, and will be at the end of n 18 day trip to Scotland and Ireland so the driving won't be a huge ordeal, although we originally planned not to be on the road more than 3 hours in a day.

Should I stay an additional night in Dingle, and drive straight from Dingle to Dublin without staying over midway?
If not, can someone can recommend a nice place in the area to stay over I'm still open to that too.
thanks
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 02:49 PM

I just returned from 7 nights at the Fitzgeralds Woodland House in Adare. I am not aware of the bad reviews Adare got other than its very small with not much to do. This hotel was about 1 mile from town center of Adare and is a full service hotel. Theie web site is
www.woodlands-hotel.ie. We were quite pleased with the accomodations.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 06:32 AM

Emjoy, I would suggest Killaloe which is about the same distance from Limerick as Adare but on the Dublin side and not too far off the main highway to Dublin. I, personally, would want to get a little closer but that is my preference. As for Killaloe, it is a wonderful and peaceful location adjoined by it's sister city Ballina connected by an old, narrow bridge over the Shannon. It has some sites to tour plus a few very nice restaurants/pubs. I stayed there last year with my mother and sister and have booked again for Sept for my last night before departing. Enjoy your time in Dingle as I will be there in Sept ,also, visiting a friend and touring the penisula. PS Limerick seems to have a love/hate relationship with tourists. I like it but realize that it is not a village. I would say that there is a very good museum there called The Hunt which is on the river downtown. It you get the opportunity to visit you will see some wonderful celtic and other artifacts.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice-
Adare looks nice to me, but when I search under Adare I get disappinting reviews- it's nice to see a positive one.
Also, I'd prefer to be on the Dublin side of Limerick too so thanks for the advice of Killaloe Keenan- I'll look into it.
thanks again
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 04:27 AM

What about Cahir/Cashel area? Or is that too south? Several things to see there. Cahir Castle, Rock of Cashel, Bru Boru, Swiss Cottage.
Have fun!
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

I'm trying now to decide between Cashel and the idea of Killaloe. Cashel seems to have more to offer-but it takes much longer to get there. and Killaloe seems to be not far off the N7... I'm really torn between them now.

It's about 4 hours to drive N21 to R515 to Cashel, but only 3 hours to take the N21 to N7 to Killaloe. I don't mind driving the extra hour if the scenery is worth it.
Does anyone want to give me any more info to help sway me in one direction or the other?
Thanks
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 11:24 AM

Head for County Tipperary near the Rock Of Cashel. Find the Gen of Agherlow (I think the spelling is right) there are two hotels in the Glen. My choice would be Agherlow House Hotel. Great views over the mountains. Good food and the locals are friendly.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 12:25 PM

I loved Dualla House , just a couple of miles out of Cashel. It is a very large sheep farm, with a grand Georgian manor house. Mairead Powers is a fine hostess.

On your way there, you can stop off at Cahir castle as well.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:09 PM

Debbie-do you have the web address or access information to Dualla House?
Thanks if you can give it!
Shadow
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:38 PM

I do like Cashel and think it's a "don't miss". Really, it's not far from Kilkenny at all, so it's a lot like the drive south again. It's almost on the way from Kilkenny to Kinsale depending on what road you take.

Killaloe Has some opportunities for a quick boat tour on the Shannon and Lough Derg - or the Shannon Estuary - time allowing, of course. Or a boat hire for an afternoon. Had been looking over sites recently and contemplating for next time.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:15 AM

here you go:

http://www.tipp.ie/dualla-house.htm