Too ambitious? - Rome/Venice/Como

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family with two kids (13/15) plan on arriving Rome on Friday morning; train to Venice Tues morning; train to Milan, drive to Bellagio Thurs afternoon; fly out of Milan Sunday at noon.
This is driven in part by flight issues - our other choice is flying in AND out of Rome. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 05:03 AM
ira

Hi G,

I would skip Bellagio and spend the time in Venice.

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Considering the kids, I would think Como is more desirable than Venice.
I did almost this exact same trip last summer, with my boyfriend. It was fabulous! Very fast paced though. I would think the kids would enjoy Bellagio much more than Venice, which to my boyfriend and I (aged 20 and 21)found to be quite stale and unaccessable. I mean, Venice is absolutely GORGEOUS, don't get me wrong, but for the youngish crowd with little spending money it felt sometimes like a giant unaccessable shopping mall.
Whereas... Bellagio is one of the most beautiful places I think I've ever seen. The boat rides are fun and the town is excellent to explore

I hope that might help
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 05:24 AM

Ps: sorry for typos/grammar... internet cafe is distracting, forgot to re-read before posting!
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 05:49 AM

I couldn't disagree more with indigokid and I think you should spend more time in Venice than you've planned.

I'd split the eight or so days evenly between Rome and Venice and, if you can't fly home from Venice (which would be best IMO), then return to FCO instead of going over to Milan and Bellagio. (It won't be easy to train to Milan, rent the car there, return the car there, get to the airport at Malpensa.)
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:04 AM

awww
well I guess it's just my opinion, then.
I hope you're trip turns out wonderfully whichever way you do it
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt response. After consulting with the kids, they prefer Rome/Como - they want some chill time after the big city to hike around and explore small villages. I would prefer Venice but this is the rare vacation where the kids get to pick. So, I'm going to end this thread but you'll see some Q's from me re Rome and Como - again, thanks - great forum
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Well, too late for golfin, but kids love Venice: no cars, the boats, the canals. Lake Como is nice but Venice is unique in the world.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When is this trip?

Why drive to Bellagio? You'll lose time at both ends of the rental process and the drive back and forth. On such a short trip, the train is much more efficient.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Re: Bellagio/Como I was 50 years old when I first visited Bellagio and Lake Como and my wife and I were both bored after a day and a half. This after a very active trip of 2 1/2 weeks in several areas of Italy. It's beautiful, yes, but very much old world money and lifestyle--its the last place I would try to entertain teenagers in. Paul
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
golfin has declared the thread closed (?) so I assume s/he won't be back to see the good advice s/he's received since.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM

Just in case you see this golfin...
Just back from Rome, CT, Como, Milan
with our 13 year old son.

You don't say when you are going...

We had a wonderful time in July. The hot weather broke and we needed long sleeves and sweaters.

We actually stayed in Como. Not usually recommended, more of a regular city. But I think that's why my son liked it after all the sightseeing in Rome.

If you need some "un-quaint" boy teenage activities, Como has mini golf and paddle boats to use up some energy.

In July there were music stages set up all around Como with different types of music playing, rock and roll, jazz and I didn't visit the rest.

If you have teenage Girls, Bellagio will fit the bill with all the little stores to poke around in.

Enjoy!

We didn't go to Venice, but my son really wants to go there on our next visit.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM

Four nights in Rome, two nights in Venice, and three nights in Bellagio. I'll disagree with the others -- I think that makes a wonderful vacation. Will you see all of Venice? No. But two nights there and a full day will be a most memorable addition to the trip.

When the kids go to an amusement park do they spend ALL day on one ride or do they like a lot of different rides?
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Hey - I didn't mean to end the thread prematurely - the girls ruled on Lake como and we locked up the return home from Milan. Lots of good advice and maybe I'll still get my way with Venice - but kind of a tough day of travel from venice to milan to heathrow to chicago
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:39 PM

That's why going to Venice from Rome then to Bellagio from Venice by train is better. Not such a bad trip from Bellagio to Milan.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There's no way I'd attempt Venice to Milan to Heathrow to Chicago in a single day. Spend the night in Milan before your flight.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM

I disagree with anyone who says more time in Venice. Maybe add a day there, but you will be bored out of your mind after three. Venice is beautiful but the fact of the matter is that you will really be reaching to fill more than three days there without venturing into in day trips. I'm not sure about Milan in a day either, unless you mean you are just passing through Milan on your way to Bellagio. Then it sounds find to me.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Funtimes -- all in the eye of the beholder. This summer we spent a week in Venice -- our third full week there, plus three stays of three or four nights each. We haven't gotten bored yet. I feel sorry for those who get bored there in three days, but to each his own.
By the way, someone posted to one of my week long trip reports and commented it was much too much "hopping around" for her. So again -- to each his own.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 01:06 PM
ira

>Funtimes4all
Date: 08/20/2007, 04:05 pm

I disagree with anyone who says more time in Venice. Maybe add a day there, but you will be bored out of your mind after three.<

chacun à son goût.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>you will be bored out of your mind after three [days in] Venice</i>&quot; How very sad. I cannot even imagine that.

But then some people think they have &quot;done&quot; London in 5 days, or Italy in 10 . . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -