Reload this Page >

Toledo vs Corbova

Search

Toledo vs Corbova

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Myer

Toledo vs Corbova

We will be visiting Spain the end of September and beginning of october. <BR> <BR>As part of our stays in Madrid and Seville I've planned day trips to Toledo and Cordova. <BR>Are they too similar? Upon returning will we forget which is which or do they each have enough that is different to make it worthwhile giving up one of three days in Seville? <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Gail

I can't completely answer your question, because I didn't visit Cordoba, but we did just visit Toledo, and it is very worth the trip. Just one hour south of Madrid, and it is like another world. You will enjoy the step back in time in this beautiful city.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 12:32 PM
michele

Myer, <BR>I'll answer the other half. I enjoyed Cordoba very much, BUT during the day it is filled with day-trippers. ( You might not experience this given the time of year you are going, but it is a popular day stop). If you can, stay overnight or go late in the day. The mosque is amazing and the winding streets of the city are empty after five. From what I've read Toledo has the same type of scene, mobbed during the day and empty in the evening. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps. <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Myer

Thanks Gail and Michele. <BR>Now I know that we should go to at least one of them but still don't know if we should go to both. <BR>Maybe somebody else will answer. <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 02:34 PM
John

See both. The Mezquita in Cordoba is flat out breathtaking, as are the cathedral and fomer synagogues in Toledo. Both towns are great for strolling, full of history (not all of it especially pretty.) Cordoba is an easy day (or half day) trip from Seville, well worth it. Yes, there will be a lot of tourists around. For good reason.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Graziella

I agree 100% with John, visit both, both are beautiful destinations, totally different. In Cordoba the Islamic heritage is evident, the Mezquita is breathtaking....also the juderia, the little streets, and so much more, <BR>( eat al Caballo Rojo) , Toledo in a way reveals the essence of Spanish history. <BR>Only thing in common a lot of tourist in both... <BR>I am guessing from your question that may be you do not know too much about Spanish History,?, if so... to enjoy them a little reading will make a lot of a difference. In my experience Spain is a terrific country to be visited and most cities or towns are unique and <BR>make unforgetable destinations... buen viaje.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Pedro

I would say both are different but also share many things. In my opinion, the Cordoba mosque is unique, a blend of styles and influences and one of the most interesting monuments in Europe. The rest of the city resembles a lot to Sevilla, they also share the same river and picturesque white washed tiny alleys. Toledo is castilian in spirit and you will notice that no building is painted in white. Its situation is absolutely different and its gastronomy as well. The cathedral and sinagogues are outstanding as well as some other religious and civil buildings, but what you will find similar is the big amount of tourists that you will see there, maybe less if you go in October, which otherwise I consider a perfect season to visit Spain. In Cordoba, we usually eat really well in El Caballo Rojo, El Churrasco or Taberna Pepe de la Juderia.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:01 AM
Myer

Thanks to all. I see Pedro surfaced again. Thanks for dispensing your wealth of knowledge. <BR>I'm leaning to leaving plans as is and going to both. We'll make a final decision after our first day in Sevilla. <BR>It depends then how much more time we feel we want in Sevilla. <BR>Thanks. <BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 11:52 AM
k

I have been to both, and they are unique and both definitely worth a trip. However, Toledo is much more different from Madrid than Cordoba is from Sevilla, if that makes sense. In other words, when you're based in Madrid, Toledo will be a wondeful change of scene - a short distance away, but feels like a different world (don't miss the old synagogues, and even the train station is wonderful). Cordoba is beautiful and interesting, but in some similar ways to Sevilla, so if you're having a great time in Sevilla (and how could you not??), you could probably skip Cordoba and still get a lot of the same "flavor" - although the mezquita really is spectacular (but check out the Giralda and Alcazar in Sevilla for a similar experience).

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 03:05 AM
Myer

K, <BR>Great advice! <BR>Thanks.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Jean Valjean

Absolutely do both. <BR> <BR>I wouldn't go as far as comparing Cordoba to Sevilla. IMHO, the Mezquita in Cordoba is a destination in itself, and one of the most striking buildings I have ever seen. <BR> <BR>Is Cordoba similar to Sevilla? Maybe in character, but I think that Sevilla is infinitely more beautiful. The view of the Giralda at night from Triana is to die for.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Jose

I say both as the others did. <BR> <BR>But if you to Córdoba, do not ever forget Medina Azahara. A great place to go as a missed palace for 1000 years. <BR> <BR>It was rediscovered during this century (in the 60's I think). <BR> <BR>The distance from Córdoba is just about 15 Km. <BR> <BR>Sure you´ll enjoy

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Pedro

I would second Jose´s advice about Medina Azahara, where is being held an interesting exhibition based in artwork coming from all over Andalusia and Syria. The ruins of the palace are amazing and well worth the visit. Tickets can be bought in advance in any El Corte Ingles department store or online through www.elcorteingles.es. It will be closed on 30th September. It is 9 kms away from Cordoba and easily to get there by taxi or by car.A shuttle will take you directly from the parking to the ruins.