Toledo or Segovia

Nov 9th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Toledo or Segovia

We'll be driving from Lisbon to Madrid at the end of Dec. Our flight back to the states departs Madrid at 1pm. Trying to decide if we should spend that night before departure in Madrid, Toledo or Segovia for a too short visit! Originally thought Toledo was the destination of choice but from things I'm reading here, it sounds like most prefer Segovia though I read that the Alcazar isn't the original (which burned down in 1862).

Any advice? Places to stay overnight?
Nov 10th, 2003, 06:21 AM

i vote for Segovia.....although both are beautiful, segovia seemed a bit larger with more options for whatever you want to do....and of course they have the aquaduct.
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:56 AM

The following is part of a post from the resident Spain expert - Maribel.

If pushed to choose between Toledo and Segovia, I'd opt for Segovia any day, but that's just my very subjective opinion. And maybe because it's that I prefer Castilla-Leon to Castilla-La Mancha. I personally find Segovia more elegant, prettier, lighter, brighter and a more authentic Castilian town with a real cultural life of its own, not so heavily dependent on the tourist trade.

Although Toledo's art treasures are certainly unrivaled and its dramatic setting so photogenic, touring Toledo is just more of a "chore".

For me Toledo is just a more tedious, difficult place to visit on a day trip due to the huge crowds, the strict mid-afternoon closing hrs., the steep, narrow and dark maze of cobblestone streets (wear extremely comfy and sturdy shoes!)and the ubiquitious souvenir sword and Toledo-ware (damasquinado) shops at every corner.
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Myer. I read that post of Maribel's which is influencing me to visit Segovia instead of Toledo. Does anyone have a recommendation of a place to stay in Segovia? How long a drive is it to the Madrid airport?
Nov 11th, 2003, 08:07 AM

trvlbug,
I can recommend two small inns "of charm" in Segovia, one right on the square with some rooms having balconies facing the Plaza Mayor and cathedral and one tucked into the medieval walls, with some os its rooms having pretty views of the countryside-both are Karen Brown favorites in her Charming Inns of Spain guide.
The first is the Infanta Isabel (where CathyM and bobthenavigator have stayed)
see www.karenbrown.com
www.hotelinfantaisabel.com
www.jpmoser.com
wwwl.travel-in-spain.com

The second, Los Linajes, is a member of Estacias de Espana, a kind of poor man's Parador group (www.estancias.com).
It's also an Alistair Sawday favorite, featured in his Special Places to Stay/Spain.
www.specialplacestostay.com
Both inns provide a very good value. Los Linajes rooms are sometime available through the discount coupon programs, such as bancotel and Halcon Viajes/Viajes Ecuador Weekend Plan during low season. If you're interested in booking either, I'd email the hotel to inquire if they accept discount coupons for your dates. Even if they don't, these two properties are moderately priced.

The Segovia Parador is quite modern with gardens and pool and looks slightly like a Swiss ski lodge to me. It's outside of town, great views, but the sights, of course, aren't walkable.
www.parador.es
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:27 AM

travlbug,
Forgot your other question. Our trip from our Segovia hotel to Barajas airport in mid-November took exactly 1 hr. 30 min. door to door, but that was before they finished the toll road. We left at 8 a.m. on a Monday and even with the commuter traffic on the M40 and the construction detour, we arrived at 9:30, with plenty!! of time to return our rental car, stand in line (but with gold card status we could use the Envoy check in line), check bags, get through customs, have a sandwich and duty free shop until we dropped. We had a 1:40 p.m. flight.