Todi, Torgiana, suggstions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a day trip from near Panicale to see Todi, Torgiana and maybe Spoleto. Is that too much to do? Is the wine museum worth a stop? Where would you suggest for a great meal? We'll be there in mid October will we be able to dine outside?
Another thought would be to walk into Spoleto over the aqueduct. I seem to want to do and see everything, please help me prioritize.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 08:03 AM

That seems to be a very full daytrip. Driving to and exploring Todi will take at least a full morning and then driving to and exploring Spoleto will take a big chunk of the afternoon. Of course, these are just cursory visits to each of these towns. Torgiano is a nice little town but it's not a must see. The wine museum is interesting but if you are pressed for time in the area, I wouldn't worry about missing it.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Are there any special restaurants in either Todi or Spoleto? Some place with a great view?
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:29 PM

If you're chiefly interested in the view, Il Panciolle is on a terrace with a view out over the rolling green hills of Umbria. It's also a bit pricey, and while the food is good, it is not memorable.

But it may well not be possible to dine outside in mid-October. I was there in mid-May, and by the end of dinner, it was getting more than a little nippy.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, Eloise. The quality of the food is important to us;as well as the ambiance. I've heard Ristorante Umbria, Relais Todini and Pane e Vino mentioned. Also I heard there was a small hotel/ restaurant built into the side of a hill near Todi. Are you familiar with any of these?
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:38 PM

No, I'm afraid I'm not. I don't drive and have to travel by train or bus. On my Umbria trip, I went to Perugia, Assisi, Spello (a jewel of a town) and Spoleto. From Spello, I did a day trip by train to Foligno and Montefalco. The best meal I had was probably at a restaurant in Montefalco, but it was on one of the small streets in the town and didn't have a view. It is called Coccorone. As I think I've mentioned in another post in reply to a question of yours, Montefalco is noted for its red wine called Sagrantino; they also make a more run-of-the-mill red called Rosso di Montefalco.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:39 PM

I have to agree about the wine museum. We stopped in because my brother was staying in Torgiano while we were staying in Assisi but I would not go out of my way to see it. There are more charming towns nearby to spend your time. We particularly liked Gubbio.