Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

To yankeefanatic re Tarasp/Vulpera, Scuol

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You travelers feel free to jump in, yankee needed a new thread! We loved the entire area around Scuol. Vulpera is an easy walk, or just a couple minutes by bus from Scuol train/bus station. There's really not much there except a couple resort hotels perched on a lovely spot. They all looked really nice! I think I wiould rather stay there than in Scuol, because I like to be away from the crowd a bit, but Scuol, even though large, is still very nice and doesn't have all the modern buildings and bustle of St Moritz. We hiked up to the castle and found this gorgeous spot:http://www.relaischateaux.com/chaste/
That's right across from the castle in a fantastic setting! Remember, you are still only a few minutes away from Scuol by postbus. That whole valley and all the towns in it are wonderful. Maybe you'd enjoy 2 days there and 2 days in Sils Maria? That way, you can explore from one end to the other without backtracking a lot.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 05:21 AM

Instead of starting a whole new thread, I thought I'd ask this (and maybe Linda or Yankee will see it...)

We are going to have limited time in the Engadin, alas. (one night. I know, I know...)

How long does it take to hike from Vulpera to Tarasp, and back - and is it an easy hike?

Second - given a choice between this hike OR Guarda/Ardez - which would you pick? We are actually staying in Guarda. We will have a car.

I'm sad to say we are going to have to pick just one hike and it can't be a long one since we arrive the afternoon of one day and plan to see Soglio on the next day with a final stop at Lake Como.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Well, it is how it is. Too little time for too many sights!

It's a no-brainer. Guarda - Ardez wins. The Tarasp-Vulpera hike is not so spectacular. Good for a relaxing afternoon/morning if you don't have any other plans.

I.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Thanks Ingo! That's what we will do.

Yes, way too little time. I decided instead of spreading ourselves too thin in too many places, we'd have a few way stops and have longer visits to a few other places. I've no doubt I'll be back in the Engadin again though.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

I agree about the hike. I also loved the Val Tuoi hike behind Guarda. However, Ardez is one charming little town. You still need to get a peek at the Tarasp Castle sitting magically up on the bluff!