To Split, Dubrovnik.. Hello 2015

Old Dec 29th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Split, Dubrovnik.. Hello 2015

After traveling four thousand and eighty seven miles we are welcomed back to the European continent with twenty degree temperatures and falling snow. About a three hour wait for our next flight and we hope for a little warmer as we will be heading somewhat south. Our next stop, Croatia where we will welcome 2015 in Dubrovnik.....
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 11:47 PM

Enjoy your journey. We were there in September of this year with warmer weather. Beautiful area. We walked the wall around the City of Dubrovnik, rode to the top of the hill over looking the harbor, had a delightful lunch. It was a one day stop on our cruise with Silver Sea. Split, lots of history, great buildings. Enjoy....
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 01:57 AM

Have a great time DMBT! Never been to Croatia, would love to go next time.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 09:03 PM

Can't wait to read your trip report...dreaming of visiting Croatia one day!
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Shar,

Freezin all over Croatia it seems... in mid 20's with about 20-30 miles an hour wind that makes it feel more like the North Pole.

We enjoyed Split.... Will not be climbing the hills in Dubrovnik (may freeze to death and blow away).. Will just ring in 2015.. Then enjoy the old city and Dubrovnik Symphony New Years Day
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

cafegooddes, AliciaJ

Thanks.. will post TR about our travels to Croatia soon. I hope it will inspire you to visit ... even in the winter if you have to
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 12:59 PM

When I lived in Europe , we used to go to Dubrovnik every summer.
One time , I was in Split in January...the wind was really cold ( called " bura " ) but it was sunny.
Southern Europe in the winter is noting like Florida !
Enjoy Dubrovnik.
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

To Split In Less Than 60 Seconds

At 9:50am our boarding call for Zagreb is made and we get a renewed taste of German winter weather as we have to go outside to board a bus that will take us to our airplane. I am looking forward to our flight on board a turbo-prop aircraft (DH-4) which I think is one of the coolest ways to experience the miracle of flight. The hum of the huge propellers is always relaxing and mesmerizing to me.

With freezing conditions and falling snow we have to complete a deicing process before we become airborne and I fall asleep. It is only an hour flight and I wake up wedged between clear blue skies above and small towns covered with pure white snow. Minutes later we touch down in Zagreb, Croatia.

As seems to be the norm in Europe, it is a quick process through Immigration and Customs before we head to the Avis/Budget rental car counter. In less than twenty minutes with a thousand Croatian Kunas in my pocket, we are on our way to Split.

Directions from the airport to our ultimate destination for the night is easy. Our journey is mostly along a toll road that cuts through a mountainous landscape that is covered with fresh and brilliantly white snow. Across bridges and valleys our little white VW battles fierce winds that at times make me think we might become airborne.

No road trip would be the same for us without a slight detour. We leave the toll road and give up 40 Kunas to do so. Next we are driving through a postcard of country roads lined with evergreen pine trees decorated with dazzling snow. A few turns and we face a border checkpoint where we pull off to the side and weigh our options.

Handing over our passports and a few minutes after doing our best to explain that we are just exploring with no particular destination in mind we get the nod to drive on. Across a short river bridge, another checkpoint where we repeat the process. At this checkpoint a police officer leaves the comfort of his warm booth and indulges us a bit more. With an electronic map (thanks map.me) in hand I explain to him our intended plans but he offers us a better one. Following his directions, twenty kilometers later we are having lunch in Slovenia.

Our detour is a delightful one and a few hours later we are back “on the road again”. Added to battling the fierce winds across bridges and through valleys, snow begins to falls as the sun has left us for the day. Traveling through tunnels with white, red and green traffic lights makes it seems as if we are sliding down a Christmas tree, kind of fun.

Another toll exit where we give up 140 Kunas and we are just 16km from Split. It takes a stop at a local hotel to help us find ours, The Royal Suites. A super friendly check in at almost 9pm and we have less than 10 minutes to make a run to the local market (Tommy). A hot relaxing shower, a glass of wine and we are ready for our final adventure of the day.

Layered up as much as possible we step out into the freezing bitter cold (14 degrees) with howling winds night air for a stroll around the old city. I enjoy night photography of lighted city buildings but I am sure not much of it is going to be happening tonight. Our faces are frozen and hands are numb as we step into a warm late night bakery where we enjoy the best pizza we have ever had... In of all places, Split, Croatia.

Video:http://youtu.be/IPfpiY5o1fA
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Danon.

We have been told by many locals this is the coldest winter they can remember in 40 years... Still such a beautiful and enjoyable place
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

A Freezing Split Walk

As I step out onto our balcony I realize only one thing has changed about the weather since last night, it is now daylight. It seems the morning sun has blessed the city with only light but no heat. The wind is still howling and makes the air bitter cold.

Again layered up, we walk into the Old City to experience it's life and vivid colors that we missed during the night. Along the sea front it is so windy that even the larger boats bob up and down and the harbor is filled with white caps.

Although we are freezing, children are playing along the waterfront and many brave souls are sitting down outside and enjoying morning meals from many of the restaurants that line the area. We are doing all we can to keep moving.

At one end of this promenade preparations are being made for tonight's celebration of the New Year. A brief pause to watch a stage being put together against the back drop of a beautiful bright pink building and a steeple church then the wind forces us on.

There is no escape from the wind even as we walk down narrow passages that would seem to offer us some protection. Leaving a beautifully decorated square we are drawn to a delightful sound echoing from a passage in front of us.

A group of mostly men are gathered near a wall which seems to be the remains of an ancient church and their voices are harmonic and soothing beyond belief. I gathered their singing is one of rejoicing as it bring smiles and applause from the small assembled crowd.

A daytime view of The Church of St Roche (1516) then a quick stroll through a day market where you can purchase local goods from clothing to vegetables, fruit and even a fresh hare or two.

Our walk this morning has pretty much retraced what we did last night although admittedly at just a little slower pace. With this being the case we have to reconfirm one suspicion we were left with last night.

Yes, Split has the best pizza we have tasted, anywhere!

Video:http://youtu.be/xj5sAsMvzXM