Search

to not offend

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to not offend

Since this will be our first trip to London and I dont want to offend or upset anyone I would love advice as far as does and don't -

Someone already mentioned NOT calling the London Eye a Ferris Wheel.

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Why worry about that - Central London has it seems very few Brits in it - at least the tourist epicenter of the West End.

I would not judge the attitudes of Brits on Fodors as any harbingers of what real Londoners think as IME more average English do not upbraid folks for using words like Ferris Wheel or Chunnel as Fodor Brits seem to enjoy doing.

Really i don't think there are any special do's and don't's for London anymore than any place - just don't be a jerk, etc.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Stiff upper lip, all that.

I think the tradition is theirs to uphold.

I don't know about Brits, but I'm against the corruption of the English language. The London Eye IS a ferris wheel.

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM

the thing to do to not offend is not to argue when some Brit, unlikely IMO but common on Fodor's, corrects you about it not being a Ferris Wheel, is simply not to argue about it and say

"OK"

Same with Chunnel and Channel Tunnel train
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
zeppole: Well, it definitely won't offend anyone if you call it a Ferris Wheel - but the London Eye <b>isn't</b> one. It is an &quot;observation wheel&quot; which is a different animal. (Now - wikipedia will say a ferris wheel = an observation wheel. But a lot of the info on wikipedia is worth what it costs )

oh2doula: Don't worry, London is about the most diverse cities on earth. You will be fine. Some little things are bound to &quot;offend&quot; somebody, but the vast majority of folks won't pay any attention to you. Just act yourself.

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I have had the pleasure of meeting a few people who are British and they have been the nicest people in the world. I just dont want to sound silly.

for example in Hawaii, when someone refers to The mainland - its not taken very well.......
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM

How about not calling them &quot;Brits?&quot; ;-)
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
As I said - no one will pay a bit of attention. They are used to Americans talking &quot;funny&quot;
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM

That's interesting oh2doula because on Anglesey where I live we refer to the bit over the water as &quot;the mainland&quot; What's wrong with saying that in Hawai'i?
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Though a Ferris Wheel once only meant a thrill ride not necessarily for observation purposes it has now i think entered American English as any wheel that revolves around and which passengers sit on

Thus in American parlance the London Eye is a Ferris Wheel and this is probably why Wikipedia calls it one.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM

The London Eye is an &quot;observation wheel&quot; and Buckingham Palace is simply another big house.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 01:13 PM

George Washington Gale Ferris did not invent the wheel as a thrill ride. He invented it so that people could observe the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago (as well as the rest of the city) from the sky.

Here is a description of the observation cars on the wheel:

&quot;The cars were 24 feet long, 13 feet wide, and 10 feet high, and weighed 26,000 pounds. Each car carried fancy twisted wire chairs for 38 of the 60 passengers. The five large plate glass windows on each side were fitted with heavy screens and the doors at each end were provided with secure locks.. firefighting equipment was carried as a safeguard.. Six platforms were arranged to speed loading and unloading, with a guard at each t9 signal the operator when his car was filled and locked. Conductors rode in each car to answer patrons' questions or, if necessary, to calm their fears. ...

&quot;On a clear day, patrons could not only see the Fairgrounds and City, but miles out onto the lake and the surrounding states of Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan. Attendance on dark smoky days was nearly as heavy as on good days, so it seems the Wheel itself was more of an attraction than the unprecedented view it offered. 3000 of Edison's new incandescent light bulbs were mounted on the Wheel and made it a dazzling sight as they blinked on and off.&quot;

The observer becomes the observed.

To insist on calling the London Eye an &quot;observation wheel&quot; and not a Ferris Wheel is a disservice to history and one man's enduring genius. The London Eye is a pale imitation of his achievement which &quot;weighed 2,079,884 pounds and when carrying the maximum live load of 2,160 passengers a weighing, say, 140 pounds each, the total weight in motion would have been 2,382, 244 pounds or 1,191 tons. The capacity of the Wheel was never taxed, even on Chicago Day, when there were 34,433 paid admissions...&quot;

Ferris deserves his place in international history, and London owes him an incalculable debt.

You didn't think we were going to keep traipsing over to see those awful royals, did you?

You KNEW we wouldn't. You built the Eye. You got the idea from Ferris.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Besides, the Guardian newspaper in Britain refers to the London eye as a &quot;ferris wheel.&quot;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/mar/26/london

The fact that the editors don't capitalize &quot;ferris&quot; is an indication that it doesn't matter what the tourist industry wants to call it. The structure being described is, in the English language, properly termed a ferris wheel.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Rather than calling it a Ferris Wheel, most British people would simply call it a Big Wheel.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Hi oh2doula:

I've only been to London once, but IMO if you're not used to living in a big city and/or taking subway trains, it's more important to remember the &quot;do's and don't's&quot; of navigating a busy public transportation system.

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Ferris wheel, observation wheel, big wheel...whatever kind of wheel it may be, can we at least all agree that it's quaint?
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:30 PM

Apres_Londee -- Since I will soon be in London and am not used to big cities or taking subway trains, any help with the dos and don'ts of busy public transport systems would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:48 PM

I cannot imagine what you might do that would &quot;offend&quot; someone in London, unless you regularly engage in purely obnoxious behavior, and even then you'd find plenty of company in the rugby crowd.

There are a load of British terms that are different from American ones - no one's going to stone you because you call the boot of a car the trunk.

Really, I'd be SO much more worried about stepping off the curb into oncoming traffic, as I am wont to do after a sleepless overnight flight...
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

After seeing what I posted - of course its okay to say mainland -what i meant was referring to returning to the United States..... sorry about that

You are right - being hit by a car would be more worrisome....
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Hi sallyky:

As I said I'm not an expert on London by any means, but I do believe there are certain things that apply everywhere. A few off the top of my head would be...

...Don't stand in front of the turnstyle to dig through your purse/search through your pockets. If you need a minute to find your card/ticket/token, stand off to one side and don't block others from entering the turnstyle.

...Escalaters- where I live it's &quot;stand right walk left&quot; (or it was until some dufus caused a big pile-up at the bottom of an escalater few years ago) can't remember if it's the same or vice versa in London- a good rule of thumb is just keep walking regardless (the dufus in my town stopped at the bottom and it was like dominoes)

...When boarding a train car, keep moving. Don't stop or slow down as soon as you step inside, because there are people behind you who are trying to board.

...Try not to block the doors of the train. Those times when you do get jammed packed in front of the door, remember you might have to briefly step outside the car when the doors open in order to let people off.

...When you get off the train, don't stop to look around to figure out where you're going. Remember there are people behnd you trying to get off the train. Keep walking, even if only to a corner or a back wall, then stop and get your bearings.

...If you need to go at a slower pace up or down the stairs, hold on the railing on the side, don't walk down the middle of the stairs.

...Take off your backpack and hold it in your hands when boarding, riding, and exiting a train. Try to hold your purse close to your body to avoid bashing people.

...Don't lean your body along the length of the handrail, because then no one else can grab on.

...If you're going to read or listen to an ipod, don't tune out your surroundngs. Keep looking around whenever the train stops or starts- you might need to move over or you might standing be in someone's way or someone who is elderly or pregnant might need your seat.

...Don't bring a hot beverage on the train, if you spill it the person next to you could get burned.

...Carry a ziplock baggie in your purse for a temporary, portable little garbage bag.

Phew! I sort of went on there, but those are things that I think are good to keep in mind for a smoother ride, especially during rush hour. It's mainly about keeping the flow of traffic going, and not instinctively stopping in your tracks when you're confused or unsure where to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -