Reload this Page >

To Normandy from CDG

Search

To Normandy from CDG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 10:39 AM
D. Crispell

To Normandy from CDG

My wife and I will be flying into CDG and then going to Normandy for two days. We then continue on to Paris for 5 days. Our plan was to take a train to Caen, and then rent a car for two days to see the WWII sites, and hopefully Mt St. Michele. Now I'm concerned that getting to Caen from CDG may be difficult with Luggage. CDG to Paris to Metro to the correct Gare for Trip to Caen. Would it be better to get a car at CDG and drive to Normandy? But then I will have to go back to CDG to return the car and train into Paris anyway for our stay in the city... Any ideas will greatly help.<BR>Thanks!!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Anna

No, you don't have to return you car to CDG. There are many car rental places in Paris. Someone on this forum suggested to us returning a car near Invalides as we were staying in 7th. It was a great suggestion and very easy. There was no extra charge for returning our car to another destination maybe because it was in Paris? We rented from Hertz

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Sue

I think i'd rent at CDG, do Normandy, return car in Caen or Rouen, take train into Paris. Anna said taking car to near Invalides was easy, but sure doesn't seem as tho it would be, what with Paris traffic.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 11:43 AM
D Crispell

Thank You Anna and Sue. I'll try to pick up the car at CDG. I booked it along with my rail pass thru Raileurope, so I don't know what charges there will be for dropping off at a different location. I will find out though. Thanks again!! Did either of you visit MSM? Was it "do-able" in one day? We will be staying in Bayeau.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 12:07 PM
flygirl

Rent at CDG. Very easy, have done it several times. Easy three hour drive to Caen - and stop at Giverny along the way - Monet's garden. Les Andelys is a great place to visit near Giverny - 13th centure fortress of Richard the Lion Hearted.<BR><BR>Paris traffic is no biggie. if you are used to ANY city, be it DC, NYC, Boston, Atlanta - no sweat. even if not - signs are very well posted.<BR><BR>at minimum it means no lugging of luggage. you can drop stuff at your room then drop the car, or drop car at rental counter in city and take cab, your choice.<BR><BR>fear not.<BR><BR>btw, Bayeux to MSM is a LONG day. I would NOT do it with only two days in Normandy. far too much to see in Normandy itself, especially if your interest is WWII sites. <BR><BR>After leaving Caen, go to Pegassu Bridge - from there it is a short drive to the Merville Battery and well worth a trip - maybe give it an hour and a half. Then hit the beaches, driving along the D572 IF memory serves me correctly (it's been a few years). You can see bits and pieces of the Atlantic Wall, also radar sites (off the beaches). Omaha Beach is best seen at dawn, so maybe start your second day with that. Pointe du Hoc - don't miss - it's up the road a bit from Omaha Beach, and of course you want to see the Cemetery.<BR><BR>What I mentioned above is easily doable in two days, including Giverny on your way to Normandy. <BR><BR>report back, would love to hear it!!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:08 PM
D. Cordell

You made the right decision. We took the train from CDG to Bayeux in April ? and it was a hassle with luggage. You have to change trains to get to Gare St. Lazare to take the train to Bayeux (or Caen). Later in the month, we had come back to Paris and went out to Normandy again, this time renting a car in Paris and dropping it at CDG. I'm pretty sure there was no surcharge for that.<BR><BR>I think Mt. St. Michel is a stretch for a two-day trip. If you can't add a third day in Normandy, you'll find the beaches (and the museums) likely will take up two days. However, you could always try it!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:18 PM
StCu\irq

I would definitely rent the car at CDG and drive - there should be no extra charge for drop-off at a different location.<BR><BR>And I would NOT try to make a daytrip to le Mont St-Michel from Bayeux, especially since you will be recovering from jet lag followed by a 3-hour drive. Save it for another trip and enjoy Bayeux, the Memorial museum in Caen, and the DDay beaches and museums.That's more than enough for your two days.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Billyb

That's a lot of driving - I would not suggest MSM and Bayeux in just 2 days, only consider if adding a 3rd night in Normandy to squeeze it in or else just do Bayeux and the WWII beaches. Plenty to do in Bayeux - the tapestry, cathedral, museums. Normandy is a great area to have a car and cruise. The American Cemetary at Omaha Beach - at closing time - was an experience we will always cherish....bb

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Jean

Yes, drive a car from the airport out to Bayeau. We did that, staying in Bayeau as our base. Would have loved to go to MSM, but would need another day or two. You will enjoy!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Jean

Sorry about that spelling--Bayeaux?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:41 PM
D. Crispell

Thanks For the great responses. I was able to change my car reservation, and will pick up the car at CDG and Drop off in Caen - No extra charge!!<BR>Thanks for the advice on MSM. I guess we will have to save tha for another trip.