To Mephisto or Not to Mephisto.....

Aug 29th, 2002, 12:01 AM
Charlene

To Mephisto or Not to Mephisto.....

They say they are the most comfortable shoe for Europe but I have to say that they are pretty much Butt Ugly Shoes! I have heard they are cheaper in France. In the US they are around$225-250. For ugly shoes... Please tell me someone that they are worth it!!
Merci,
Charlene

Aug 29th, 2002, 12:15 AM
Gabe

Ugly but comfy.

Aug 29th, 2002, 01:33 AM
Gretchen

Some are truly ugly and not all that comfortable for certain people. My husband who is all but impossible to fit in a shoe has a pair that has hardly left his feet in a year and a half. You might try Eccoes. I have a pair in the same category as husband's Mephistos. If you are going to France they are half what they are here.

Aug 29th, 2002, 04:49 AM
walker

If they truly fit you and are comfortable, then yes, they are worth every penny. Though, not everyone has Mephisto feet. My feet refuse to be happy in anything else. I try to buy them in France, and can wear them out of the store (no break in time required). Discovering Mephistos was the best day for my feet and worst for my budget ;-)

Aug 29th, 2002, 04:53 AM
ajs

Charlene

Shoes are a personal thing, but I bought some Mephisto's before our recent European trip, and they were wonderful from the first time I wore them. What was also nice, was they were black, so I could wear them all day and to go out at night. Cuts down on the shoe lugging. Go to:

sierratradingpost.com

They have the best prices anywhere on all sorts of name brand shoes. A really great company. Got my $320 M's for $120.

Aug 29th, 2002, 05:35 AM
janis

If you live anywhere near an outlet mall with an Off 5th store (Saks 5th Ave clearance center sort of like a Nordstrom Rack) you can usually get Mephistos REALLY discounted. I have two pairs - one "ugly" and one good lookin loafer - one cost $94 and the other less than $50.

But Mephistos are not for everyone - all feet are different so you need to find a last (the shoe form) that fits you and then stick to that brand(s)

Aug 29th, 2002, 06:08 AM
mephisto

When my feet are killing me, I do not care how ugly or pretty my shoes are, I just want my feet to stop hurting.

Aug 29th, 2002, 09:31 AM
carol

Mephistos are very comfortable, but so are Rockports and many other brands of walking shoes which are much less expensive than Mephisto. I find that shoes with gel inserts in the soles offer tremendous protection from all those cobblestone streets in Europe that are real footkillers! But Charlene--they're all pretty klunky and ugly, no getting around it. Try some on before you go.

Aug 29th, 2002, 09:52 AM
david

Not all Mephisto's are ugly. My wife and I visited the Mephisto store in Avignon this summer. We each bought a few pairs at no more than $160 each (we both have bad feet, and need the extra support. Try it you'll like it!

Aug 29th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Ellen

They are terrific. Just don't look down! : - )

Aug 29th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Charlene

Thanks all for your great responses!Bugswife summed it up, Don't look down.....

Aug 29th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Anna

Definitely Mephisto. My husband and I swear by them now. We both stand on our feet all day for 8+ hours with virtually no sitting, Mephistos are the best shoes we have found. He's purchased some nice looking dress shoes in Europe and a cool pair of casual shoes for $130-$150, the same shoes here are over $300. Mine are kind of ugly though.

Aug 29th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Cathy

Try them on, along with a lot of others. I bought an expensive pair of Mephistos, only to find them not comfortable after wearing. I was then told they are not good for those with flat feet. It all depends on your foot---what is "comfie" for one is not necessarily good for another! My favorite European walking sandals are Reikers, and they are not ugly. In fact, I get lots of compliments on them. The important thing is that everyone's feet are different, so find the ones for you.

Aug 29th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Whocares?

Mephistos have a sort of cult following on the boards.

I have a pair of Mephistos but I, of course, have other shoes as well. I bring about 2-3 pairs of comfortable shoes when I am on vacation. Which ones I bring depend on where I am going--and what I plan to do--and I don't always bring my Mephisto pair.

Just wear what is comfortable for you. For a much cheaper comfortable shoe, I recommend New Balance walkers. They weigh, by the way, much less than the average Mephisto shoe--and weight is something you should consider if you are going to be schlepping your suitcase yourself.

Some of the cult following Mephisto attracts, in my opinion, has a good deal to do with the price. Aliases feel comfortable bragging about how much money they spent for them. Yawn. . . .

Aug 29th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Red

Merrells rule and they are a lot cheaper then Mephistos.

Aug 29th, 2002, 08:13 PM
aunt bee

Where in Paris is the outlet for Mephistos? Merrells, where do I find them?

Aug 29th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Ellen

Oh 'Whocares' you are so wrong! I get ill just thinking about how much Mephistos cost, but they are the best for me. And all of the walking shoes look so similar, who would even notice what brand you are wearing? It makes my day when I get to Europe and stumble across a Mephisto store selling the shoes at 1/2 price (there is a store in Granada, Spain). By the way, the Mephisto closed shoes (not sandals)can be re-soled. Yes! You just bring them into any store that sells Mephisto and they will handle it for you for about $75 to $100. Beats buying another pair of shoes and they will do this forever, or until the tops fall apart.

Aug 29th, 2002, 09:46 PM
Marilyn

Right on, Red! Merrell's rule!!
Aunt Bee, they have a website which should get you to a local outlet. And they make several very different styles of shoes. Some are like lightweight running/hiking boots. Others (my faves) like slip-on clogs. Also some slide type sandals. But the footbed is incredibly comfortable and the sole cushioned in some way that makes me wear them just about every day.

Aug 29th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Alicia

Okay, Mephistos have my vote for being most comfortable.

However, what about shoes that have non-skid soles? I cannot find any shoes nowadays-cheap or expensive-that have non-skid soles. They're all rubber soles but when you walk in them over wet smooth surfaces you slip! Any suggestions?

Aug 30th, 2002, 03:35 AM
belinda

You absolutely need good walking shoes in Europe. I climbed more stairs than in my previous 40 years combined, navigated more stone-paved streets, and just plain strolled more than I ever imagined, and my feet only hurt once. I took a pair of Josef Seibels and a pair of Eccos. I paid around $100 for each I think. I also spent a bundle on good socks. In the event all my preparation didn't work, I took moleskin for blisters. Bite the bullet, buy good shoes and enjoy the walking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO