COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

to Greece for the first time

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

to Greece for the first time

Hello,
I will be traveling with my husband to Greece for the first time, we will be there for 2 weeks, flying in and out of Athens. I would like to visit Mykonos and Santorini. Was thinking about throwing Crete in too but is that too much? I think we would only need 2 days in Athens.
Any help is much appreciated!
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 05:27 AM

If you spend only two or three nights each on Mykonos and Santorini you will have enough time to fit Crete into your itinerary leaving two days for Athens. Mykonos and Santorini seem to be on most first-timer’s bucket lists, but if you are there in high season you may be glad to move on. What time of year specifically do you plan to travel?
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 09:01 AM

Athens deserves a minimum of 2 days with 3 or more better. There's more to Athens than just the tourist sites.

Crete is Greece's largest island and you spend spends weeks there and not see it all. It has something for everyone.

I believe it's relatively easy to get to Santorini via ferry from Crete.

As Heimdall states "Mykonos and Santorini seem to be on most first-timer's bucket lists" which is understandable because most glossy travel magazines and travel agents hype those islands. On the other hand there is more to a Greek Island than either of those you want to go to.

You didn't state when you are traveling but if it's High Season be prepared for hordes of tourists on Santorini/Mykonos, high prices and some debate just how "Greek" they are.

If you have your heart set on those island then by all means go, but if you want something less touristy, less expensive and maybe an island(s) that provides you with a more Greek experience there are many others to consider.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:29 PM

People seem to want to go places their friends have heard of so when they return home people don’t ask: “You went where?” There is nothing wrong with Mykonos and Santorini as long as you know what to expect. Next trip to Greece (and there will be one) you can spread your wings. Mykonos, by the way, is very popular with affluent Greeks.

Modern Greeks don’t seem to visit traditional places unless it’s where their family originated. The owner of the little hotel on Antiparos where I stay had to renovate her hotel because as she said: “My Greek customers want air conditioning and flat screen television.” Up until then I was happy with a fan, and even brought my own plug for the bathroom sink. I must admit it’s nice to have the A/C!
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 01:34 PM

What I want for my Greek holiday may be different that yours but where ever you go and what you go to Greece for I hope you enjoy yourself.

I always have a great time because I end up going where I want rather than what a travel agents wants.

Old Feb 26th, 2020, 04:25 AM

Hi, I am looking into staying on Antiparos....could you share where you stay?
Thank you.
3GNHgirl
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 05:35 AM

Hi, I always stay at Mike’s Place, but it is small and gets booked up in high season. A Dutchman whom I’ve met has a website where he recommends hotels on Antiparos. They are all good hotels, but look for the ones with Antiparos Town as the location if you don’t have a rental vehicle.
Antiparos Greece hotels, apartments, studios, holiday houses and villas
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Hi, I always stay at Mikeís Place, but it is small and gets booked up in high season. A Dutchman whom Iíve met has a website where he recommends hotels on Antiparos. They are all good hotels, but look for the ones with Antiparos Town as the location if you donít have a rental vehicle.
Thank you for sharing. I heard a lot of good reviews about Mikeís Place, but I donít know this place is pet friendly or not?
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 06:51 AM

Hi Suikor, I donít recall seeing a pet at Mikeís Place, but that doesnít mean they arenít accepted. Why donít you email Lilian, the owner, at [email protected]? She will be in Athens right now, but checks her emails regularly, so should reply promptly.

Last edited by Heimdall; Feb 28th, 2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 05:45 PM
kja

You've already gotten some great advice!

Where, exactly, to go and for how long really depends on what you want to see and experience. Personally, I wanted more time in Athens than you are giving it and I wasn't overly impressed with either Santorini or Mykonos, although I realize that I'm an outlier in my reactions to those islands. If you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report:
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece