To Capri or not to Capri?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have spent many enjoyable hours at this site and want to thank all of you for your excellent advise. My husband and I will be travelling to Italy October 6-22. Due to the time of the year we are going I am questioning whether we should stay in Capri or use those days in other places. Our itinerary:

5 nights in Positano
3 nights in Capri
4 nights in Tuscany
3 nights in Rome

1.Should we skip Capri? If we skip Capri would it make sense to use those days in Ravello or extend our stay in our other destinations?

1.If we go to Capri are three nights too much?

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:02 AM

I was in Capri quite a few years ago and absolutely loved it!
I would think the weather would still be fairly warm in October too.
But having just spent 8 days in Rome this past February, I would recommend trying to spend another night or two there (maybe cut out a night someplace else?)
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:06 AM
ira

Hi C,

Beginning of October on the AC is usually quite nice. As you go farther into the month, weather tends to become rainy and foggy.

I suggest 4 nights in Positano and 2 nights on Capri and adding the time to Rome.

Is there a reason why you are skipping Venice?

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Ira,

Thank you so much for your response. I have read MANY of your posts and value your opinion.

The reason we are leaving Venice out is distance. We spent two weeks in Tuscany and Umbria two years ago and plan on a trip to Venice, Lake District and Northern Italy in general either next year or year after. We both love Italy and know we will keep returning. Thought it would be less travel time if we focused on Amalfi Coast, Southern Tuscany(staying at La Saracina near Pienza) and Rome (we are flying in and out of rome).
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM

I was in Capri last June- it really is a lovely area. I would think though that 1 night would be sufficient.. it is fairly small and we "did" most of Capri in one day. We stayed in Sorrento which has an easy ferry to Capri. We stayed at the Hilton in Sorrento... it was really, really nice and Sorrento was great.. Have fun!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Sorrento is wonderful and a good base for a nice DAY trip to Capri. Capri is great to see, but can be walked in a day, or even some think it lovely in the evening ..warrenting ONE night.
You mentioned Pienza area...I loved Pienza and a wonderful base to see Tuscany,,,as is SIENA!(Siena is a lot larger but SO INTERESTING!
Five nights in Positano seems like a long time, but one could base out of there. It's really "hanging' on the hillside, loads of steps, but beautiful.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Definitely Capri, but maybe not for 3 nights. As much a fan as I am of Capri, I'd add some extra time on to Rome since there is so much to do and see there.

Capri can be "done" on a day trip, but there are lots of interesting things to do on the island that can't be hit in just a few hours, and its true character is hidden off the beaten path. October is a great time to be there because there are way fewer tourists on the island, especially at night. Things that are tourist-oriented (some hotels and restaurants) do start to close down in late October/early November, so make sure you do some homework on that one. The weather at that time of year is usually fantastic.

I also think your 5 nights in Positano is a bit much, especially since you won't be doing much sunning on the beach in October - I think I second the suggestion of shaving a night or two off of Positano and a night off of Capri and adding that extra time on to Rome.

If you have any other questions about Capri, I'd love to answer them! It's one of my obsessions.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

To:nnolen

i tried to reply back yesterday but messed up. thank you for your input. i tried to add days to our hotel in rome but they are fully booked. I am on a waiting list.
We are going to the Amalfi coast for the views, the food and most of for r&r. I think we will stay with the 5 days for Positano becuase we want to go to Pompeei and Ravello and want relaxation days in Positano.
Now my big decision is whether we should cut short Capri to two days and add a day to Tuscany. I know it is late in the season for Capri.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Even if you have to switch hotels, I would shave a night in Positano and/or Capri and add another night or two in Rome. I love Positano and Capri, but there is SO much to see in Rome and 3 nights will barely let you scratch the surface. I would do 4 nights Positano, 2 in Capri, and 5 nights in Rome.