Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

To be alone with nature without giving up the usual benefits of civilization

Old Jun 8th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We love to be alone with nature without giving up the usual benefits of civilization, where would you recommend to go? Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 10:35 AM

Did you have something particular in mind? This is how I like to travel--in a secluded nature spot, but with restaurants within walking distance.
Here are a couple places that might inspire you:
Outside Camogli, Italy:
https://la-rosa-bianca-di-portofino-...li.booked.net/
Kardamyli, Greece:
https://www.booking.com/hotel/gr/gik...-messenia.html
Vetulonia, Italy:
https://www.baciarino.com/

Old Jun 8th, 2021, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by FamilyHobby View Post
We love to be alone with nature without giving up the usual benefits of civilization, where would you recommend to go? Thanks.
I know what you mean , we love the Out Islands of The Bahamas, no resorts but you can swim with Tiger sharks in the morning and still get a decent espresso in the afternoon.

Look at the west coast of Scotland , DM if you want I'm not posting where to go on a public site.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 11:39 AM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
There are any number of areas where you'll be alone if you walk / hike. Is that what you have in mind? Most people go where it requires no effort to get there, so if you're willing to put in just a little effort it makes all the difference.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at the west coast of Scotland, DM if you want I'm not posting where to go on a public site.

BC, I feel that way about my favorite Irish village. We are going to Islay next May but not for the faint of heart getting there. Not flying as weather causes many delays. Taking the ferry.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 02:11 PM

Rent a traditional chalet/alphut in the Swiss alps: https://www.airbnb.ch/rooms/19193377...LeeijZyhjhTOfu

Old Jun 8th, 2021, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Svalbard, also known as Spitsbergen. Luxury hotels -- but the unwary might still be eaten by a polar bear.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Macross View Post
Look at the west coast of Scotland, DM if you want I'm not posting where to go on a public site.

BC, I feel that way about my favorite Irish village. We are going to Islay next May but not for the faint of heart getting there. Not flying as weather causes many delays. Taking the ferry.
We have a huge dilemma on the West coast , people = money , money stops communities dying. People also lead to a slow death of what was so magical about the place in the first instance. Mull and Skye are typical examples , victims of their own success.

Iím about to build a house in one area which is at the far extreme of what people would call perfect. Otters, deer, wild cats, dolphins, whales, basking sharks, bloody pine martens everywhere (pests but cute) and the rest. Together with Michelin star food and some bloke in a white van with the best seafood in the world. Do I want to advertise it ....No!

Islay has the best whisky in the world and yes .....the logistics put most people off.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo View Post
Svalbard, also known as Spitsbergen. Luxury hotels -- but the unwary might still be eaten by a polar bear.
Svalbard Norway is just what you need-a great place! Only very cold, would you like something warmer? Maybe there are more options?
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kleeblatt View Post
Rent a traditional chalet/alphut in the Swiss alps:
Perfect, thank you! We have never been to Switzerland, I would really like to visit it! Consider this option, there are still free days at the end of August.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 12:33 PM

If you haven't been to Greece before be prepared for some really "natural" areas, especially the mainland.

The Mani in the south of the Peloponnese Peninsula is truly wild with some of the most spectacular scenery I've seen in all my travels. Yet there are towns/villages that offer conveniences like shops, markets and tavernas.

The history of the Mani goes back centuries and was the home of the start of the Greek War for Independence against the Ottoman Empire. The locals are welcoming but have an edge you want find in other parts of Greece.

They love to party, enjoy life and if you pick up a few words or phrases of Greek you'll make instant friends.

The rest of the Peloponnese offers almost as much "nature", history, character, friendly locals, great food, alcohol, history, fantastic villages, scenery, beaches but you can still stay at villages that offer conveniences but not over-the-top tourism like Santorini or Mykonos.

Lots of islands to consider but you'll need to find the ones that don't get all the hype like the Big Names Ones!

More research on your part will discover that many areas of Greece are not the tame, wait on you hand-and-foot, do anything for tourism like other countries.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 01:31 PM
Adminstrator

My hike in the Pentland Hills was rather devoid of others. Only place in Europe I managed to avoid other Americans. It's very close to Edinburgh, as well.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 05:06 PM

Switzerland is spectacular. I recommend it without hesitation.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 07:14 PM

I loved my time in the Dolomites for its combination of spectacular scenery and near at hand civilization,
Solo in Italia once again: Venice, Bologna (Ravenna), Ortisei, Bolzano, Verona. See post 30 for photos. I thoroughly enjoyed Ortisei, but you could stay up higher for a more away from it all experience, e.g., https://www.uhrerhof.com/en.html.

Old Jun 14th, 2021, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bon_voyage View Post
I loved my time in the Dolomites for its combination of spectacular scenery and near at hand civilization,
See post 30 for photos. I thoroughly enjoyed Ortisei, but you could stay up higher for a more away from it all experience, e.g.,
Are there really such beautiful places? There are so many beautiful places I haven't seen yet. Thank you
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazyh View Post
If you haven't been to Greece before be prepared for some really "natural" areas, especially the mainland.

The Mani in the south of the Peloponnese Peninsula is truly wild with some of the most spectacular scenery I've seen in all my travels. Yet there are towns/villages that offer conveniences like shops, markets and tavernas.

The history of the Mani goes back centuries and was the home of the start of the Greek War for Independence against the Ottoman Empire. The locals are welcoming but have an edge you want find in other parts of Greece.

They love to party, enjoy life and if you pick up a few words or phrases of Greek you'll make instant friends.

The rest of the Peloponnese offers almost as much "nature", history, character, friendly locals, great food, alcohol, history, fantastic villages, scenery, beaches but you can still stay at villages that offer conveniences but not over-the-top tourism like Santorini or Mykonos.

Lots of islands to consider but you'll need to find the ones that don't get all the hype like the Big Names Ones!

More research on your part will discover that many areas of Greece are not the tame, wait on you hand-and-foot, do anything for tourism like other countries.
We were in Greece in the Pefkohori of Halkidiki. I really liked it! Beach, markets, restaurants, landscapes, beauty! Thank you for sharing with us, Mani is what we love! Another beautiful place where we have not been, but we will try to visit it!
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Share with us beautiful places, thank you