Reload this Page >

Tips on planning your trip, from scratch

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 04:58 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>this sort of thing has been posted many times before, but I thought I'd start another thread on it. These are my ideas, others will no doubt have additional suggestions. <BR>I'm afraid these sorts of threads only have limited usefulness because newcomers wouldn't even know to look for this thread, but maybe we can keep it going for a while during the summer crunch. <BR>As I read once on this Fodor's website in an article written by a hotel concierge, the best thing you can do for your trip is to identify what YOU like; knowing what I like doesn't really help you since we don't know each other. <BR>For planning tips, take a look here as well <BR>www.tips4trips.com <BR>www.twenj.com/tipsplanning.htm <BR> <BR> <BR>When you start to plan, ask yourself what interests you: Do you like art museums? Historical sites? Churches? Architecture? Gardens? Beaches and other resorts? What two or three things have you always dreamed of seeing? Which appeals to you more for this trip: leisurely strolling and relaxing or more task-oriented sightseeing? <BR> <BR>What is your budget for hotels and restaurants, and/or for the entire trip? How much time will you have? <BR> <BR>What are the ages and stamina level of everyone in your travel party? How do you feel about public transportation (trains, buses) vs driving? Most urban underground train (subway) systems require a lot of walking through station corridors and up and down multiple staircases-can you all handle that? Can your budget(s) handle taxis or car services? Will each person be able to handle his/her own luggage? Do you have to bring a stroller or a wheel chair? <BR> <BR>How might each person be affected by changes in schedule, changes in sleep pattern, new foods? Do you want to allow time in your schedule for naps or chill-outs during the day? <BR> <BR>Do you and your companions want to see a few places in depth or more places superficially? Do you like to plan ahead, or decide things more spontaneously? How might you and your friends tend to react when things go wrong, for example if you miss your train or the hotel doesn't have a room for you or you get lost on the road? Do you all tend to have compatible habits regarding getting up early in the morning or staying up late at night, drinking wine with meals vs not, splitting restaurant bills vs itemizing them, eating a lot vs eating a little, spending freely vs frugally, etc. Are you all people who will express feelings and work out a compromise, or are some of you whiney or silent-sufferers? Are you willing to go off on your own for a day or an afternoon while the other person does something else? <BR> <BR>What do you all like in restaurants: what kinds of food, what kinds of ambience and service, what kinds of prices? What kind of clothes will you prefer to pack and wear?: Strictly casual, like jeans, shorts, and sneakers, or less casual than that? Will you be primarily in cities, or in the countryside? <BR> <BR>When choosing a hotel must your room have a view? An ensuite (private) bathroom? Do you want a shower or a tub? (You don't always automatically get both). If you had to make a choice between room space and old-world charm, which is your priority? Should your hotel have an elevator, air conditioning, and/or food available on the premises? Do you prefer that the hotel have a central location, or more away from the hustle and bustle? <BR> <BR>These are just some of the questions that come to my mind when I plan a trip, and they may be helpful to your planning as well. <BR>

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:31 AM
s.fowler

Topping to keep this available!

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Lizzie

Topping because MUCH more helpful than thread about questions from people whose own questions are "properly" worded/sufficiently thought out...

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 07:55 AM
wes fowler

Two invaluable and related threads can be found here with a text search of: <BR> <BR>"How do you plan your European trip?" which prompted well over fifty responses, and <BR> <BR>"How do you research for your trip?" with some equally valuable suggestions and comments.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Judy

Elaine: Truly helpful questions. <BR> <BR>More question: weather tolerance:everyone has different reaction to different weather conditions.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Art

Something that I've found helpful this year is in-your-pocket guides. Very inexpensive and you can order them on the internet and they ship them to you. <BR>They give you a overview of places to sleep, eat and to see. They you can do more in depth research. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Sherry

In addition, Art, as it has been stressed before: guide books are a must. I know that first time travelers may look at the price and say YIKES! But good guide books are invaluable for a great overall look at a country. The expense is well worth it.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 01:05 PM
pam

Wonderful post Elaine. <BR>If you are travelling solo, give some thought to taking part in some tour groups. I was able to find groups which had excellent references (from people on this forum and others) which are small enough to be comfortable. <BR>This allows you a great deal of time for independent travel while making new acquaintances and learning in depth about places which interest you. <BR>Two such excellent tour groups are run by: scalareale in rome (they have a website) and simone gaddini in florence (firenzeantica.org).

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Toppingaswell

please keep to the top...

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 02:59 AM
Karen

Worth topping. Wonderful starters' list, Elaine. For our recent "cousins" trip to Italy, where I was the one with prior experience and therefore the family guide, the cousins who had never been abroad had a hard time narrowing down the possibilities until I stopped asking them about place names and just asked them what specific things they wanted to see. Once I had this list, the itinerary practically fell into place, and the planning about hotels and transportation could really start. Of course, I already knew that it was not possible to "do" Italy in 14 days! So I agree, start with what YOU really want to see. If your vision of Italy is all about vineyards and olive trees and walks through the countryside, it's no good to plan a Venice-Florence-Rome trip by rail. On the other hand, such a trip might be perfect for someone who has specific works of art in mind as her reason for going. It's simple, but many people get sidetracked examining other travellers' itineraries instead of asking themselves what they really want to see and do. Do just as Elaine outlines above, and you'll be fine.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:11 AM
Karen

Topping this helpful post again for the newbies with lots of planning questions.