Reload this Page >

Bad Weather - What to pack?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 05:29 AM
Claudia

Help! I'm leaving for Switzerland on Saturday evening and the weather reports look like it's going to rain forever. I have good rain gear but I'm not sure how cold it will be. Since I'm always cold, will a fleece layer with a long sleeved shirt be enough to keep out the elements? We start in St. Moritz but at some point in our trip will be in Saas Fee and Wengen. Any packing advise will be appreciated since there's nothing worse than shivering while you're trying to enjoy the sights.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Ursula

Claudia: <BR>After a ten days heatwave (around 30°C), we now have been through a ten days rain/cold wave (15-20°C), it will be over on Saturday and forecast says, summer will be back again I am going to an openair concert tonight and really do hope it will not rain. It does not look so right now. <BR>It's not extremely cold, just not as hot as it usually is. <BR>Take a windbreaker and a sweater. You will still need that when you say you're always cold. And it's always a good thing to be prepared to any weather in the mountains. It can change very quickly. <BR>Enjoy Switzerland!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Beth

In mid-June, we saw weather ranging from 80 degrees in Venice to snow in the Swiss Alps. I packed a washable merino-wool sweater (from Old Navy, but I don't know if they sell them at this time of year) at the last minute and was glad I had. It wasn't bulky, but combined with a sleeveless fleece, it helped keep me warm on a few very cold mornings.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Ed

Well, it's not too likely to be too chilly in Saas Fee, Wengen or Zermatt. <BR> <BR>However, if you go up in the mountains, even if summery temps prevail in the valley it will be rather closer to freezing at 10,000 feet (3,300 m) than much warmer. Temps go down as much as 5 degrees Fahrenheit per 1,000 ft. increase in altitude. See <BR>www.twenj.com/tipsmtnwx.htm

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:16 AM
Jane

A windbreaker and a light long sleeve blouse/pullover should be enough. Just layer and remember you can buy something while you're there if you need to. <BR> <BR>The main thing to remember is to keep your luggage light - we learned that lesson when we travelled to Switzerland last month. We lugged around sweatshirts etc and never used them. And if you're travelling on trains between your destinations, big heavy bags are a real drag.