Tips on haggling in Turkey?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for Turkey on the 14th and I'm so excited! However, I admit that I'm a little nervous about haggling. I'm a "people pleaser" by nature, and I'm worried that I'm going to offend someone, or worse, that I'm going to end up paying too much because I'm a softie.

I know that in Turkey haggling is the way to go. Any tips??

Thanks!

Tracy
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like to think of it like buying houses. When they say £500,000 I think £400,000. Same here, but of course not houses.

So try it at the taxi stand. Ask for a price to your hotel. They say 600 you say "last time I was here I did it for 400" words etc pass then you go for 450.

If it gives you a problem then suggest following.

1) do not haggle over food
2) do not haggle over bus or train fares
3) do not haggle in TRUE government shops (loads calim to be fixed price etc etc).
4) Don't haggle if the money means nothing to you

Or thy this, my partner needed a gold ring fixing. She haggled over the price and watched that the right gold was added to the ring, she even pushed for an extra polish where they tried to stint. Then she gave them the money first suggested ( the extra was the tip). Now guess how confused they were.

Finally remember the old story about the istanbul carpet souk. They didn#t like hippies begging in the souk because they saw it as their job to take all the money off the tourists not the hippy.

If you really don't like this then I guess either stay at home or pay too much, whatever you finally pay it will be double what the locals will pay
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:55 AM
J62

Here's a video that offers some haggling tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:00 AM

Tracy:

I did not inlude haggling suggestions in my letter to you...However, following Bilbo's advice above is a proper way to go.
Don't feel embarrassed...most of
vendors expect it, and are ready for you!!

stu t.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I guess I'm probably making too big of a deal about it because its something that I've never done. I'm assuming that once I get there I'll figure it out pretty quickly. I guess the key is to decide on what I'm willing to pay before I start haggling? So when the shopkeeper gives me the price, how much should I come back with? Is there a general rule, like half or a third?

Tracy
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:23 AM

Oh I just love haggling. It's a real art, and it takes practice. Be prepared for some mild insults cloaked in a syrupy smile.

Ask the price. Look shocked when you hear it. Laugh out loud and throw your hands up in the air and start to walk away.

When the merchant grabs your arm and asks well, how much DO you want to pay, tell him you're not really interested after all, but if you were you wouldn't pay more than (name half the price he named, or even a bit less). Continue to try to move away.

He will now laugh at you and plead and tell you stories about his leprous children and his dying parents. Tell him you're really not interested - you were just curious.

Rinse and repeat for 10 minutes or so until he names a price you find suitable. Then offer him just a little less than that and extend your hand for a good shake. Bingo!

Don't EVER ask the price of anything unless you are genuinely interested in it.

Of course, it helps to be able to communicate in the vendor's own language, so you can toss in phrases like "I wouldn't even let my camel sleep on that filthy rug!" But I'm guessing you don't speak Turkish (nor do I).
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM

We haggled successfully over a carpet because it was a take it or leave it proposition for us while the merchant really wanted to make a sale. He agreed to our price (more than 50% off) when we were already 100ft. down the street from his shop. BTW, I do not think that he took a loss.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:12 PM

Hi

Some tips

1. Try to refrain from purchasing, particularly big ticket items, the first few days you're there. You'll get a feel for prices and how to bargain.
2. Learn to use the local currency i.e new Turkish lira. When asking a price make sure they are quoting in lira. A couple of times I haggled for items, agreed on a price, handed over the lira and was greeted with "No,no sir that's $20 US".
3. Be very careful when buying carpets. It's a huge scam! Do you know how to grade diamonds? Same deal with carpets. If you do find a reputable merchant expect to pay thousands (USD) for a truly beautiful item. If you pay less then you've been scammed - you've bought the Chinese manufactured product! TIP: If the item is to be shipped home write your signature on the label at the back of the carpet. That way when it arrives you'll know it's the one you picked out.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! It really is helpful.

I probably won't make any large purchases like a rug, even though I would love one. We have to endure a rather strict budget to be able to afford to travel like we do, so that usually doesn't leave room for any big ticket items. Still, I like to pick up local crafts and things to set around the house and remind me of our travels.

I'm sure that once I am in the environment I will get the hang of it. I guess I just need to not feel guilty about walking away!

Best wishes,
Tracy
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 03:35 AM

I enjoyed reading this bargaining issue
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:23 PM

The merchants that haggle in Turkey usually do so because the tourists expect it. So all the little tourist shops at the site will give you a good haggle if that is your desire. Most normal stores are fixed price, just like 7-11 or wal-mart.

Buying a rug is just like buying a car in the US. Some dealer's are honest, some aren't. Some give you a fair price some don't. In the end an honest merchant will be able to give you documentation to prove the rug they are shipping to you is the one you chose, have a defined shipping method (DHL, FedEX etc) and you are in good business.

Don't worry about being a softie. The Turks are good business men and I found in general to be professionals (even the touts were professional), not at all like Egypt where it is pretty much a contact sport.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM

I purchased my rug from Dosim a government shop. They have 3 of them in the old part. No haggling, no tea, you drag out the rugs yourself, price listed and take it up to the counter. It is stressless and you are insured of the quality. You might consider one of those stores. Haseki Hamami, Prestij silver handicrafts sale center, topkapi cultural products sale center.