Tips on car rentals in England/France

May 5th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Tips on car rentals in England/France

We would like to rent a car leaving London to travel north to see other sights. Any advice on the better car rental companies and what insurance is a must? What are the approximate costs on car rentals? Anything we should watch out for in the rental agreement?
May 5th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

keeping current
May 5th, 2009, 06:52 AM

There are many satisfied customers of AutoEurope.com on this forum and others.

They are brokers so the actual car will be from Avis, Hertz etc. AutoEurope say they will match a lower price found elsewhere online even if you have already booked with them and find a lower price later.

They are based in Maine.

You can also find them under the kemwel.com banner.

Rob
May 5th, 2009, 07:15 AM

Hertz HAD a wonderful program that you can drive in both England and France. We've used it both ways across the channel. YOu rent a car in either France or England , then drive it onto the Channel Train and after about 25 min. yu drive it off in the other country. In Calais you drive a short distance to the Hertz office and switch cars..(left to right or visa versa ).
Well, it was very successfully,,,but I just called Hertz to double check and was told they didn't renew the contract and this progam IS no longer . Many people used this service,, and we all should write Hertz ! It was wonderful.
Well, things change don't they,,,and sometimes the good things?
May 5th, 2009, 07:26 AM

Dig deeper. AutoEurope has at least as many negative comments as positive. They screwed us out of about $100 last summer by promising to waive rail/air pickup and return fees, then not honoring their agreement.

My opinion of AutoEurope: if you tell just ONE lie, you're a liar.
May 6th, 2009, 05:17 AM

You may well be right Robespierre but if you can find one business in any field anywhere that has 100% satisfied customers I'll show you a business that has not had very many customers.
May 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Kemwel tends to be cheaper than Autoeurope in my experience. You have to decide whether you want inclusive or basic. Basic means that your credit card carries the CDW, usually with no deductions (others disagree but have not given proof, but any estimated cost of an accident will be charged to your credit card, to be reimbursed once you fill out the proper paper work and the credit card company gets the finalized repair cost from the rental agency. If you worry about hitting the maximum under such circumstances, you need a second credit card for daily expenses. On the other hand, I believe that the inclusive with Autoeurope has a stiff deductible. Another rental agency, Economy Rentals, often offers an inclusive package with no deductible.
May 6th, 2009, 05:10 PM

ParisAmsterdam on May 6, 09 at 09:17 AM

...if you can find one business in any field anywhere that has 100% satisfied customers I'll show you a business that has not had very many customers.

AutoEurope, by unscientific poll, is running about 40% satisfied customers as I write this.

Search this Thread