Reload this Page >

Tips for Tromso pls

Search

Tips for Tromso pls

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:04 AM
brownie

Tips for Tromso pls

Well our planning for our new year's nothern lights visit has been set. We'll be in Tromso for 6 nights. I noticed that there are a few dog sled expedititions out that are possible but I figured, we could wait until we get there to decide what is open and what isn't.<BR><BR>I am really looking forward to hearing about anyone else's tips for restaurants, day-trips, expeditions and everthing else ... in the Tromso area.<BR><BR>So far we've only got our flights and accomodation in order (thank goodness Radisson came out with a christmas special).<BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR> Brownie.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:12 AM
Davidx

I cannot imagine you need telling these two but the 'Ice Cathedral' and the funicular, for its views even if you do not ski, are musts.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:26 AM
brownie

Thanks David.<BR><BR>It's nice to have one's must-dos confirmed.<BR><BR>-Brownie

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Melissa

Brownie, I saw your post and was wondering.....what is the best way to GET to Tromso??? I have been interested in going there for a couple of years now but I will sheepishly admit that I probably have not done enough research. I couldnt figure out if I could fly directly in or if I could reasonably take a train from Oslo (or another main point). I'd love to hear how you arranged this trip and then a follow up trip report on this board!!!

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 12:23 AM
brownie

<BR>Hi Melissa,<BR><BR>Yes, we're flying up. We're flying into Oslo and then getting a connecting flight to Tromso. It's winter so we're not too keen on doing the travelling bit. Thought we'd save that for summer. Flights aren't cheap though.<BR><BR>If I don't make a trip report and you're watching out for one, send me an e-mail. I'm not very good (read: bad) at trip reports unfortunately. The only one I've ever done was for Scotland last year after someone said they were waiting for it. <BR><BR>Meanwhile.. when is christmas ever going to get here!!<BR><BR>-brownie. <BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Melissa

Thanks brownie! Can you tell me if the connecting flight to Tromso was expensive? <BR><BR>I am very jealous! Hope you have a fab trip and a fab new year's under the Northern Lights!!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 08:18 AM
brownie

Hi Melissa,<BR><BR>We booked our flights months ago so I can't remember actual costs. The Oslo-Tromso leg was expensive and more than what it cost to get from Heathrow to Oslo. My norwegian friend says that this is a normal situation in norway.<BR><BR>But there are internal passes that you can get which makes things more affordable. But there are plenty of constraints to consider and there aren't that many flight paths to choose from. <BR><BR>I think the agent at scandinavian airlines was quite happy when I finally booked. <BR><BR>They do have an informative website:<BR>www.scandinavianairlines.com<BR><BR>Ho lidays are finally here.. so merry christmas and happy new year to all.<BR><BR>-Brownie.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 09:28 AM
helen

In Norway we now have a low price company norwegian.no who offers Oslo-Tromso one-way for NOK 690,- if booking 3 weeks in advance. The web page is in Norwegian only, but try calling. This will probably help the competing company SAS lower their price as well.<BR><BR>Hope this helps!<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:21 AM
brownie

Hi ...<BR><BR>Well I'm back and thought I'd finish off this post.<BR><BR>Tromso was really really nice. Unfortunately, I think we picked the worst time to go as most hotels/restaurants/activities were closed during the christmas/new year period. Since we were there from 27 Dec - 2 Jan, this covered most of this period. We arrived on the 27th night and the tourist office was only opened on 30 and 31 Dec. But they had a list of hotels and activities/museums that were still open, intheir window.<BR><BR>Most hotels were shut except for 5-* ones. We ended up at the radisson and I wasn't impressed.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:25 AM
brownie

Trip Report II<BR><BR>Highlights definitely included the northern lights. )) It was mainly green as the other colours were rare in Tromso. But it covered the whole sky and we could just watch it move. It was fantastic. We had to go out of Tromso and so we went to this wilderness center where they had erected some Sami tents (akin to wigwams) and in it was a fire. When we first arrived, we were ushered to put a polar suit on, a hat and some gloves. When we were rugged up, we were led to the tents to watch. There were comfy chairs to sit on but it was WAYYY to cold, so we ended up sitting in the tent where there was a fire going.<BR><BR>The lady was really nice. She made a huge pot of soup and when that was gone, brought out hot chocolates and cakes.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:33 AM
brownie

Trip to Tromso III<BR><BR>Other highlights included a riding a snowmobile on a frozen fiord. The temperature that day was -25 C which apparently was the coldest day they could remember there. So that was interesting. I'd never been into such a cold climate before. Tromso itself wasn't that cold .. probably went down to -15 C. The town is quaint with plenty of shops still open during the days between christmas and new year. It was quite international too and we had some really good chinese and japanese food.<BR><BR>The houses were all lit for christmas and with all the snow, it was completely white. The lights were all the same - uncoloured. It felt like I was stepping into christmas land. The feeling when looking out the window was magical. Since there was only light for about 4-5 hours, there was plenty of time to enjoy this.<BR><BR>New Years Eve was fantastic. There was nothing really happening in the town as Norwegians tend to celebrate it with their families and in setting off fireworks. We were really lucky that it was a clear day because they started teh cable car which is normally closed for winter. So we went up and there is no way to describe it. Fireworks were going off EVERYWHERE. We were looking down on Tromso, and it was just a burst of fireworks. At around 12:10, there was a thick layer of smoke and smell of gunpowder pretty much prevailed for a while. <BR><BR>They started setting of the fireworks in the afternoon (it got dark around 2-3pm) and it crescendo-ed at midnight. <BR><BR>One local I met said that this was the first time she'd been up there for new years eve, as it is normally not clear. True to her word, it was snowing the next day.<BR><BR>A fantastic trip, it was. <BR><BR>-brownie.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 12:28 AM
Melissa

Wow, brownie, thanks for the report! Although things were closed it sounds like you managed to have a great time! What were your favorite things to eat there.....anything unusual? What is their specialty?