Reload this Page >

Tips for touring the Cotswolds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Bob

We will be staying in Burford in July for four nights and plan to tour the Cotswolds area by car. Does anyone have any "must" sees or good tips for that area?

Old May 20th, 2001, 12:44 PM
wes fowler

Bob, <BR>You may find parts of the following itinerary of interest <BR>For a tour of the Cotswolds, consider the following: from Banbury or Chipping Norton, take route A361 south, first to Burford, a charming little village with a number of coaching inns with a great deal of character. Continue south to Fairford and the Church of St. Mary with its stunning stained glass windows. Now drive northwest from Fairford to Bibury, supposedly the loveliest town in England with its Arlington Row, early 17th century grey stone wool workers’ houses. Continue northwest to the Chedworth Roman Villa remains with its wall murals and Roman mosaic floors. Travel north to Sudeley Castle, the former home of Catherine Parr just outside of the non-tourist cluttered town of Winchcombe. Continue north to Buckland, an exquisite little village then on to Broadway and Chipping Camden, both of which are featured in all of the tourist guide books and thus inundated with tourists. Drive south east back to Chipping Norton, stopping at Chastleton to visit its early 17th century Jacobean country house and formal garden. <BR> <BR>

Old May 20th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Lisa

Bob,when you get to the Cotswolds, to to a tourist info in any of the towns and buy on of the large scale maps of the Cotswolds and there will also be tons of information. <BR> <BR>Burford is just on the edge of the Cotswolds. I am no expert, but I would prefer to stay somewhere more central. Distances are not great but with country roads and pretty scenery you may be too far on the edge. We have even moved around spending each night in a different place. That's my personal opinion and others my disagree with me. <BR> <BR>Blenheim Palace (home of the duke of Marlborough and various Churchills)at Woodstock outside the Cotswolds is worth a visit. We also enjoyed Warwick which gives a good contrast between a medieval castle and a palace. <BR> <BR>Bourton-on-the water has a cute model village (for a very short visit) and a miniature museum which has incredibly detailed miniature scenes. It has a pretty high street with ornamental bridges crossing a clear stream and lovely greens. <BR> <BR>An e-mail address for information on one of the brochures I have is [email protected] <BR> <BR>and [email protected]. <BR> <BR>Perhaps they might even send you brochures

Old May 20th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Kavey

I also wouldnt choose Burford, though for different reasons. <BR> <BR>Having driven through it a few times on 2 different weekends in the past month this is my 2 pennies... <BR> <BR>Burford straddles a major road in this area, an A road, but I cant recall which. So you have lots of traffic. It doesnt have much to it which would be great in a quiet little village but straddling an A road, I dont think so... <BR> <BR>Anyway, we bought the Ordnance Survey guide to Cotswolds which is fantastic. <BR> <BR>We enjoyed seeing amongst others, Broadway (I would stay here) or Stow-in-the-Wold (or here) as well as Lower and Upper Slaughter (small villages, no eateries, just beautiful), the Swells, Broadway Tower and various other recommended villages. <BR> <BR>The shopping and eats were best in Stow... and Broadway which is why I would choose to stay in these palces out of those I visited. Of course they will also have most tourists but then I am a tourist so hey!!

Old May 20th, 2001, 10:31 PM
W Scott

<BR>Take a look at: <BR>http://www.cotswolds-calling.com/hou.../chedworth.htm <BR> <BR>And don't miss Chedworth Roman Villa, the largest extant Roman Villa in the UK: <BR>http://www.cotswolds-calling.com/hou.../chedworth.htm <BR> <BR>Have a great time! Don't eat too many cream teas while you're here, though! <BR> <BR>

Old May 21st, 2001, 05:17 AM
Liz

Snowshill Manor was one of our favorite places...EVER. Home of eccentric collector Charles Wade, it is bursting with curiosities: ancient samuri armor, bizarre musical instruments, one-of-a-kind furniture... The manor house and gardens are charming enough on their own. Plenty to occupy one for half a day. It's south of Broadway I believe.

Old May 21st, 2001, 07:59 PM
steve

I also like the stretch between Fairford and Bibury - especially on the very small roads. I enjoyed the drive between bibury and North Leach (nice 'wool' church)

Old May 22nd, 2001, 03:44 AM
ginny

We have stayed in(self-catering, Stanton Court Cottages)and loved the village of Stanton just outside of Broadway. No stores, quaint, peaceful, sleepy-little-town! Nice pub on the hill and pretty little church, St. Michaels. Also another would be Great Tew. Again small, but beautiful to wander around. One more that was recommended by a local in Winchcomb is Guitting Power. We much prefer the "off-the-beaten-path" type places and these are exactly that! The Cotswolds are full of beautiful walks(Cotswolds Way)that I would also recommend!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 09:34 AM
staci

go to the Lord od the Manor Hotel for dinner....It is in Upper Slaughter and is beautiful! <BR>Have fun

Old May 22nd, 2001, 11:02 AM
Henry

Bob,my wife and I rented a cottage in the Cotswolds and it was one of our favorite vacations.I would advise getting a good pub guide,there are many excellent pubs in this area.I remember visiting a church in a village called North Leach.The elderly women who are the custodians of the church gave us a private tour.Thet were very proud of a rare priest vestment from the 13th century(most such vestments destroyed by the iconoclasts during the reformation.Enjoy I'm sure it'll be a great trip.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 12:14 PM
Bob

Great feedback! Thanks and to the top!