Reload this Page >

Tips for Oxford Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 09:49 AM
cl howell

We will be staying in Oxford June 15-19 and would welcome any tips on a budget-to-moderate place to stay (I know it's an expensive city), restaurants (ethnic) and an itinerary to see some of the Cotswolds. We like going to the movies, visiting gardens, running/swimming/biking/gym and generally soaking up local culture. Thanks much.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 05:37 PM
Mavis

Can't offer much advice in the way of B&B's/hostels that sort of thing, we usually rent a cottage for a week or stay in college - taking one of the great courses they offer. Recommend three books, great background/advice on Oxford: The Oxford Guide to Oxford by Peter Heyworth; Oxford by Jan Morris, the great Welsh travel writer; and Exploring Oxford by Michael De-la-Noy. Also there is a great site at http://www.goodguides.com/itinerarie...olds/Tour1.asp - you can actually get two itineraries for the North and South Cotswolds and they really cover the best things, plus note good restaurants and pubs. Some of my favourite things in Oxford: the Botanic Gardens, tour at least one of the colleges, my favourite is Christ Church, Ashmolean Museum - kind of cluttered and haphazard but very interesting, punting on the Cherwell, Bridge of Sighs, covered market, Broadwells, Sheldonian, Bodleian Library, pubs: Chapters Bar at The Randolph, Turf, White Horse, The Bear and take the walk thru Port Meadow to The Perch. Good food at Browns. Have fun.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 06:54 PM
Q. P.

There is a brand new guidebook to Oxford by David Horan, _Oxford: A Cultural and Literary Companion_ (Interlink Books, 2000); it turned up at my local library recently and I notice Borders has it, too. Not in the same league with Jan Morris, perhaps, but a fun read. Horan was for ten years literary editor of the Oxford Times and has all sorts of interesting stories to tell. <BR> <BR>Q. P.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 06:43 AM
pat

There is one Youth Hostel in Oxford, but it is quite far from the city centre, and not quite convenient to explore the city, you can check from YHA website. The other budget hostel would be Oxford Backpackers which is quite central and within 5-10 min away from bus station. I don't really know whether you can be able to book college accommodations or not, because it will be the end of academic year, just try. <BR>The University Park is worth walking and relax, the first public museum of the uk, the Ashmolean, another park in the north with the river Thames(Isis for the locals) is Port Meadow. There is one film house which shows quite classic films, cannot remember the name, it is not too far from a pub called the Jude, behind Radcliffe Infirmary (the hospital). <BR>Although it is the city for students, but i can confirm you it is really expensive, too expensive for students even my New yorker friend still complained. <BR>Anyhow, do enjoy the city of the spires.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I would like to travel to Morocco end of August, beginning of Sept. I am a female travelling alone and I have been advised to look into joining a tour.

I do not like to travel with tours and have always travelled on my own.

I have contacted one tour company, Cosmos.
Has any of you had travelled with Cosmos?

Can you please recommend any other tour company?

Any tips and info is appreciated.

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:49 PM
Lia

I have not been to Morocco yet but have been looking at several tour companies. I'm a fairly experienced traveller and prefer to go on my own as well, but have been told that it's probably not a great idea for a woman to travel solo in Morocco. I would recommend that you look at tour companies who specialize in Morocco such as Isram (went to Turkey with them and it was great!), Heritage Tours, Sunnyland Tours or Y'alla. Most tour operators offer an &quot;Imperial Cities&quot; package for the major cities - Marrakesh, Fez, Rabat, Casablanca - plus more extensive tours into the Atlas mountains, Todra Gorge or coastal region - Essouria, Safi, Agadir. If you find something, please do post it!
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:00 PM
Lia

I forgot to add a few others!

Homeric Tours
General Tours (has some interesting independent tours)

Look at www.affordabletours.com for more information on these.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:03 PM
Lia

Also take a look at Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT). I think they guarantee no more than 16 in a group:
http://www.oattravel.com/gcc/general...aspx?oid=48221
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Lia

Try these - each offers a land only tour:

http://www.generaltours.com/display_...i?tour_seq=721

http://www.marrakeshvoyage.com/Trips.html

http://www.djoserusa.com/www/bestemm...estemming=0007

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 10:34 PM

ChristineC - This is a good sign. Also the travel agent who recommended them pointed to some excellent approval ratings General Tours have.

I am somehow having a hard time nailing down a tour company for Morocco. I know of many companies thanks to this forum but have not come across anyone that has taken the tours I am considering.

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 01:59 PM

I took a Morocco tour in April with a friend (both of us are women) with Cosmos -- and I highly recommend it. We had a great group -- mostly Brits, a few Aussies, a Kiwi and a few Americans. If you go with Cosmos you should check to see when Graham (Aziz is his MoOroccan name -- he is British, but lives in Marrakech) is the tour director -- he is absolutely fabulous -- his balance is perfect -- talks enough to give you a thorough history, but doesn't overwhelm you -- has fun stories and a great personality. All our needs met beyond expectations. The hotels were fine -- one or two could have been classier -- but most were terrific -- you spend little time in the hotels anyway. We did most of the optional tours -- and thought each one was worth the money. Overall, I would say that the Cosmos tour is an excellent value. You won't regret taking it.