Reload this Page >

Tipping in London

Search

Tipping in London

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 11:47 AM
scaltreto

Tipping in London

What is the general rule of thumb re tipping in London; i.e., hotel/day, taxi, luggage, etc. I know pub tipping is a no, no. Replies are appreciated.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Marion

Best to tip cab drivers. Watch out for restaurants who automatically put a 'service charge' on the bill - you don't have to pay it and just make sure that they don't leave a blank 'tip' section on your credit card slip.<BR><BR>Other than that, it's entirely to your discretion. On the whole we don't have a 'tipping' culture but it would probably be appreciated.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 03:04 AM
Nigel Doran

No need to tip bartenders at all. If you are feeling really generous and have got to know the bartender very well over a few days, you might say 'have one for yourself' but don't be surprised if they decline or take money from the change for a drink once the shift is over. <BR>Don't tip more than 12.5% in restaurants. In the U S they expect more, but this is not the U S. 10% is fine for places like Pizza Express, Belgo, and for post/pre restaurant offers. <BR>Cabbies can be tipped, but no need to follow a strict 10% rule. <BR>No need to leave an envelope of notes for the maid in your hotel, and unless your hotel is really swish (4*) then dishing out pound coins is not expected. <BR>All in all, if you are coming from the U S, then if you feel you are really not tipping enough, you have probably got it right.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Annette

Rule of thumb is usually 10% unless you have had superb service anywhere, Then anything else is a bonus

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 10:40 AM
beth anderson

yes, pay attention. I seem to find that in Europe in general they usually add a tip to it (this happened a lot in Italy). I've seen it in London too, not as much in France...

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 11:11 AM
tipping

Don't they tip cows also? or is that just in Ireland?