Reload this Page >

Tipping in Rome and table reservations.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Jennifer

Just want to know if this is accurate. When<BR>in Rome the tip is already included on the<BR>check, but an extra tip is expected? How<BR>much does one tip and is the tip always added<BR>at any restaurant? I also recently read when<BR>you make a reservation you have the table for<BR>the night.....is this correct? Must you always have a reservation, how far in advance<BR>do you need to make them if I'll be there in<BR>January.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Diane

Depends on the restaurant. We had no problem walking in to many casual places without a reservation. If it is fancier and you surely want a table, call in advance for a reservation. We also had good luck stopping by a place during the day where we thought we'd like to have dinner, and making a reservation for that night or the next. If the service was really over and above, we'd tip extra, otherwise not.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 11:55 AM
LJ

A little extra is the norm even for a gratuity-included meal. It is considered the correct thing to do, but we are talking minimal, like 3000 lira on a 100,000 lira meal. Do NOT leave all your little change, that is not considered polite, even if it might add up to the "paper" tip.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Paul

Service is almost always included in the bill. When you pay by credit card, there is no additional line to write in a tip, as there is in the US. You really should leave up to 5% in cash on the table.<BR><BR>Restaurants in Rome, except perhaps the very deluxe ones, need a reservation no more than one day in advance. Usually the same day is fine. The restaurant would just lose the reservation if it were made any more in advance.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Gerry

Tipping is not expected. You should round up your bill. eg. If your bill is 48,500 lire you would not stand around waiting for your 1,500 lira change from 50,000 lire. At bars(coffee bars) etc. Italians customarily tip the bartender who makes your coffee about 100 lire. I never had to make a reservation at a restuarant in Rome. But, if you are going to a popular place at a popular time (i.e. 8 PM) a reservation would be a very good idea. Your hotel will be glad to call for you if you find this difficult.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 12:43 PM
elaine

I agree with Paul that in Italy a tip is expected. In my experience, 10%. It is<BR>not as optional as in Paris The service charge goes to management, not to the waiters.<BR>Don't add it on to your charge slip; leave it in cash on the table.<BR><BR>Here is another source for an opinion on this<BR> www.tipping.org

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 05:37 AM
RICHARD J VICEK

Good morning, Jennifer The above advice is proper, but would add that<BR>your concierge at your hotel can make<BR>dinner reservations for you, as sometimes it is difficult to make your<BR>needs known over the phone....Going into the ristorante at the lunch hour is another option to make reservations.<BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, IL&gt;..<BR>

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 07:47 AM
FrenchWaiter

No Centimes!

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Bob

Reservations are not required but are a good idea. You probably won't have a problem in January with just walking into most restaurants without a reservation but if you have a specific restaurant in mind, make the reservation a day or two ahead.<BR>As for tipping, when in Rome, do as the Romans do which is to either leave nothing or a few thousand lire. No tip is necessary but if you feel compelled to do so, something under 5% is OK. 10% is too high. Waiters in Rome have been conditioned by Americans over the years to expect tips from Americans but not from Italians. After all, would it be OK for an Italian to leave no tip in a good American restaurant because that is the custom back home.