Reload this Page >

tipping in Ireland?

Search

tipping in Ireland?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Debby

tipping in Ireland?

Can anyone tell me if it is customary to tip in Ireland? And if so, what the percentage or rate might be that I can use to calculate it in each instance?<BR><BR>Plus I suppose tipping would apply to the same service based jobs as here in the U.S., like cab drivers, waiters, luggage handlers, etc?<BR><BR>Thank you for any help<BR><BR>Debby

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Amy

Yes, tip! My SO used to be a bartender in Dublin City and said most tourists were mistakenly under the impression that they didn't have to tip. Because of that, I tip as I do at home. 15% for standard, 20% if exceptional. If a pint costs 3.25, I leave 4 for the bartender.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 12:05 PM
James

Typically around 10% in a restaurant or pub, but many leave more, others leave nothing. As for bartenders, I would never tip 75p (cent now, I know. Habits are hard to break) on every pint, as that's about 25%. Usually, on the first round of the evening, I'll tell the server to buy himself a drink.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 03:21 AM
KieranB

Amy I live in Ireland and as John has pointed out nobody tips on every drink. In fact nobody I know ever gives tips in a bar, it's unheard of. It's not because people are mean, it's just not the custom, I think the tourists you mention were under the correct impression. Personally I wouldn't tend to tip cab drivers unless maybe the moved your luggage from cab to hotel. As for restaurants, many have a service charge added to the bill in which case it's a personal choice whether you feel a tip is deserved or not. If they don't have a service charge, then tip. Overall the situation regarding tipping is pretty confused as it hasn't always been part of the culture but as people have travelled more overseas & more visitors have come to Ireland it's started to change......<BR><BR>www.vistaphotos.com

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 04:26 AM
cheap

God, are you people cheap! You're going to keep 75p (or c) just because it's "25%"? Hope I never run into you! I'm sure that change is great cluttering up your pockets.<BR><BR>And who are we to believe? A barman from the city or stingy tourists?

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Jim

I was just at a wedding in Ireland, and all my Irish hosts instructed me to not tip barmen. In fact, one of the people I was with (Irish born and raised) is now a barman in the US and he explained how it's not a custom to tip bartenders in Ireland.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Bob C

In English pubs you don't tip. But if he has been serving you for a while you offer to buy the barman a pint. It may be the same in Ireland.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 03:14 PM
not

Cheap:<BR><BR>I don't think you get the point. It is not customary to tip at a pub in Ireland. In the US, restaurant employees are paid a wage that requires them to earn tips. That is not the case in Ireland. That said, giving up .75 per pint would take a lot out of your pocket if you were a citizen there. I'm sure that it is not universal, but wages there are not close to what they are here and increasing your drinking expenses needlessly by 25% may not be economically wise. Doing my same job in Ireland would bring me about 33-50% of what I make here.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:08 AM
KieranB

Cheap, <BR>A question was asked and answered. "Is it customary to tip bartenders in Ireland? The answer is NO, that's the way it works here". If you feel like tipping bartenders whenever you visit, go ahead, they'll probably hand back the money thinking you forgot your change as happened friends of mine when they visited from the US.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Siobhan

Kieran is Right! I live in the centre of Dublin. I was told by my uncle in the old days the barman used to own the pub in smaller towns and you would not tip the owner. Bartending used to be an apprenticeship and seen as a profession and is unfortunately no longer like this. People are paid a wage unlike in the U.S. where its a small wage and you rely on tips. You do not tip the bartender. If a loungeperson brings drinks to you when you are sitting at a table you can leave some change. Same goes for taxi drivers unless they help you with luggage. American overtip for Irish standards. We are not cheap its a cultural thing and until the past few years even a night out for a few pints was expensive and you watched your pennies. <BR><BR>In restaurants 10%-15% is the par. Americans tend to tip 15-20% based on service. Most restaurants do not include service ONLY if there is a large party of 6 or more. If it is included you can leave some change. <BR><BR>Kieran probably knows this restaurant...wongs and they always include a service charge and expect a tip as well which I find shocking in Dublin since I don't find the food as great as everyone else seems to. The only place Ifound that the service was included.<BR><BR>People should stop worring about being cheap and only tip in the hotel for exptra service i.e if the concierge gets you tickets or a restaurant booking. To be honest in a mid priced hotel they probably would not accept the tip from you for making a phone call. When in Rome...... I am off to the pub noe as its nightime here. Slainte!

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 01:46 AM
Sarah

Tipping is actually the norm for most people in Ireland nowadays. In pubs we would tip bar staff who serve drinks to your table - not if you order the drink yourself at the bar. I would always tip restaurant and taxi staff. 10-15% is a good guide.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:41 AM
Krista

I tip everywhere I go in every country, most because it's easier to round off money then to figure out what to give. I am just horrible at math so exchange rates are very hard for me. And I was told just to buy the bartender a drink to share would be just as nice as tipping in Ireland.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:51 AM
Amy

I agree Krista, it's easier to just leave the change (and who else ends up with a ton of change at the end of every trip?)<BR><BR>I've double-checked with my friend in Dublin, and he's assured me that he always tips taxis, waitstaff and barstaff, regardless of how much luggage they tow, drinks they bring, etc. So he's not sure what these other "Dubliners" are talking about, other than the cheap tourist mentality often extends to his fellow countrymen as well!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:26 AM
Cait

Hi. <BR><BR>I live in South East Ireland. Tipping is not something that is done and its not because we are cheap. It isn;t a part of our culture and its not expected. "One for yerself" is what is sometimes done.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 12:14 PM
NIall

Hi Amy,<BR>I'm from Dublin and have lived in Dublin all my life. I would be considered an Irishman and a Dubliner. I assure you that me, my friends from the suburbs, my college friends, and my work mates do not tip Dublin barman, as it is considered in appropriate as you will be insulting their profession. Your friend is obviously very wealthy(Not for long!), without a care in the world or he is from another country, i.e. not the republic of Ireland. However if you do give them a tip, they will off course accept it, and look at you as an tourist. Who wouldnt?<BR>Regards,<BR>A typical Irishman who likes his pints.<BR>Niall

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 12:34 PM
oldorch

no..it's not customary <BR>but every service provider would appreciate it if you did<BR>i always do....people i drink with don't your call