Tipping Bartenders

Jul 1st, 2001, 08:09 PM
me2

Tipping Bartenders

Do Bartenders get paid a salary in Ireland?
I work in the states and expect a 15-20% tip because that is how we make a living. Do they look down on tips?

Jul 1st, 2001, 08:23 PM
scurry

I know that in Scotland, all my friends would get mad at me for trying to tip the bartenders.

I've been told that it's better to offer to buy them a drink.

Jul 1st, 2001, 10:31 PM
mikey

As Scurry says you do not tip the bartenders. They will come after you with the money. I would also just offer to buy them a drink.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:13 AM
Kevin

You seriously expect a 15-20% for serving drinks? I'll give waitstaff that, if they're serving me a meal, but certainly not if all I'm ordering are drinks.

Regardless, in Ireland, when you go up to buy your round, after you give the person behind the bar your order, tell him/her "and one for yourself." He'll charge you for one extra drink.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:40 AM
Vicki

I had a similar question when I was in Paris at a little cafe. We ordered drinks and sandwiches and I didn't see anyone else leaving a tip. I wasn't quite sure what to do. Does anyone know of guidebook that gives information on tipping customs in other countries.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 01:38 PM
clairobscur

Vicki,

In france, "service included 15%" appear on the check. However, including the service charge became mandatory in order to to avoid the issue of restaurants and cafes adding a service charge on the check though the prices displayed (on the menu, for instance) didn't include it.

In other words, it means that this 15%service charge goes to the owner's pocket, not to the waiter. Depending on the work cagreement, this charge can be added to the paycheck (as an incentive) or not, with various consequences on the taxes paid by the owner. So, the fact that the service is included in France doesn't prove that your waiter will ever get this money. However, waiters get a decent salary (and sometimes very decent) and don't rely on tips to buy their food at the end of the week, though in some places it could represent more than their salary.

Of course, a tip will be appreciated. Nobody will run after you to give you back your money. But there's no absolute rule generally accepted, here...It mostly fall down to individual habbits. Some people very seldom (or never) tip, others always do except if the food was thrown right at their face,with all the possibilities inbetween. Some will give a %age of the cost of the meal while others will leave the same tip whatever the meal could cost.

As a very rough rule, you could give a 10% tip for a good service. And you shouldn't hesitate to give nothing if the service was poor.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 02:13 PM
Art

So, this doesn't have anything to do with cow tipping??

Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:17 PM
John Bryan

I tipped all the way through Ireland and in the airport, on the way home, we sat next to an Irish lady living in America on her way home....she laughed and said more power to us, but folks thing we are grand for tipping...but not once were we given back our tips! I think it may have been nice. I mean who doesn't like money, givien as thanks, in a good spirit, during one's job duties? I don't think we offended anyone, but we may have looked a bit grand. oh well.