Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris to Palermo - which train do I take and how long is it?

Jul 2nd, 2001, 12:19 PM
Marcie

Also, should I stop somewhere along the way for one night - I don't have a reservation anywhere and don't speak the language. Am I better off to travel directly to Palermo instead?

Jul 2nd, 2001, 01:28 PM
Paulo

Your best bet appears to be the direct Paris Bercy-Rome night train leaving at 7:09pm, arriving at 9:57am. At 11:38am there's a direct Rome-Palermo train arriving at 11pm.

You may also leave Paris Lyon on the 8:04am TGV, change in Milan to an Eurostar and arrive in Rome at 8:30pm.

Direct night trains from Rome to Palermo leave at 8:35pm and 11pm, arriving respectively at 8:35am and 11:05am.

Breaking the trip in Rome or not is a question of personal judgement (and stamina

Paulo

Jul 2nd, 2001, 03:10 PM

To the top for marcie

Jul 2nd, 2001, 03:20 PM
Betsy

I'm getting the sense Marcie that you're perhaps new to European travel? Taking the overnight train to Rome is one way to save a little money and gain more sightseeing time. You're traveling and sleeping at the same time so no extra hotel expense. Personally, if you have the time, I'd spend at least one night in Rome though it deserves at least 3 or 4. Get a reservation now. There are many inexpensive hotels near the maind train station in Rome near the Piazza Republica. Going from Paris to Palermo is going to be quite a cultural shift, Rome would be a good transition point.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:20 PM
Paulo

For budgeting purposes, Marcie, the 2nd class chouchette birth on the Paris-Rome sleeper train costs FF 674 (US$ 89).
Paulo