Search

Tipping ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping ?

I have read in some places that a tip is already built into the bill in most restaurants. I would appreciate feedback from those of you that are in the know. What about cabs? bellmen? I do not want to under or over tip. We will be in France and Italy.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 06:02 AM
ira

Hi J,

In France and Italy there is a 15% service fee included in the price.

A tip is an extra amount that you leave, if you wish to, for especially good service.

It is good form to round up the bill to the nearest Euro and leave the tip on the table.

If you add it to your CC, it goes to the boss.

Italians are sometimes leery of accepting tips - it denigrates their honest labor.

Old Jun 16th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Is that 15% added to ANY bill? What about bellmen and cabbies?
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 06:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Europeans do not tip like Americans as wages for those jobs are different than in the US. In some touristy places, they expect tips from Americans that they don't expect them from people from other countries.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 06:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you are well enough off to stay in a hotel with a bellman, yes you might be expected to tip them a € or so.

but generally, if someone helps you with your bags, they don't expect a tip.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 06:28 AM

For cabbies just add a few euros, I don't stay in places with bellboys so not too sure about that
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is a bellman?
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 08:47 AM

Sorry - even in europe cabbies are tipped - esp if they help with luggage - but we give only 10% versus the 20% or more standard at home. As for bellmen - yes, if they bring bags to your room you definitely tip them. If they just move the bags a couple of feet into the hotel lobby - not necessary.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah, a bellman brings your bag to the room, not something I pay for (by tip or not), my arms still work

Taxi round up to nearest euro 5 or up to 10% (if they have been very good).
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

I prefer to carry my own bags also. I am just trying to get a sense on tipping standards in Europe. Very helpful responses. Thank you.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 10:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
From the American Church in Rome, Santa Susanna:

***Il Conto, Per Favore. Getting the bill sometimes requires asking for it two or three times (Faccia il conto, per favore). Don't get upset -- remember you're on vacation. Breath deeply three times. Waiters can be very nice, but if they're busy, they can also be forgetful. If something's missing, ask for it. Most restaurants take credit cards, but check the door to make sure. A few only take cash. There's a small cover charge (for the bread, etc) and a tax. Tip LESS than you do in the states. About 5% to 10% unless you're in a real fancy place and the service is extraordinary, but even then, don't overdo it.***

***TAXICABS
An appropriate tip is just a few Euro for a long trip and a 50 Euro cent tip for a trip across the city.***

This is from a few years ago and they haven't updated. I would make that at least 1€.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 11:27 AM

As a rule there is no need to tip in Italy. You tip only exceptional service, way more than the job description would deserve. Taxies are already expensive on their own and as often drivers lobby with municipal administrations to raise prices they do not deserve tips in ordinary circumstances. In restaurants you may round up an euro or two. The most underpaid cathegory - the one who would deserve more a tip - are cleaning ladies in hotels.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 12:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where I live, tipping is about the quality of the service you have received from someone for something that you would rather not, or have chosen not to, do for yourself such as getting your own food from aa restaurant kitchen and hauling baggage to a hotel room.

It is not, and never has been, about the amount of wages the person performing that task(s) for you receives. if those wages are so great don't yoiu wonder why a whole lot of other people aren't doing the same job?

Nobody is going to know how much, if anything, you tip except you and the person you left it for. Tax and service in restaurants means just that; the service rendered is included in the bill. If you wish to give an extra reward as a thank you that's entirely up to you as is how much you leave.

And remember the old saying, "You'll never miss it and they'll never forget it." i suppose it also helps if you have ever worked for tips as a lot of people here have not.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 01:14 PM

I think you will find most Italians will regard anyone as a total fool to give money away for no reason.

As do most Europeans.