Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Timeshare in Andalucia-help me pick one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:08 AM
paramour

Which location would be best - Malaga, Marbella, Mijas or Nerja for exploring, day trips, visiting white villages, quaint towns??

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Jim

I'm also looking to pick an RCI timeshare in Andalucia. Have you had any luck in deciding? If so, I would be keen to hear the result. I'm leaning towards Marbella.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:21 AM
topping

Anyone?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:18 AM
helping

With Interval and am also looking for info on best location out of these four choices?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:31 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

If I had to do just one it would be Marbella. However, the combo of Marbella and Nerja is really required to see most of Andalusia.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Paula

We're in II, and I'm not sure if they're part of RCI also, but we stayed at the Marriott Marbella and it was fantastic and an excellent base. We went to Alhambra, Nerja, Ronda, Mijas, and the old town of Marbella as day trips. The staff were so helpful and the rooms and facilities excellent.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 12:26 PM
curious

Is Marbella in Andalucia?I thought it was Costa del Sol?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 02:52 AM
Jim

Paula, I am interested to get some more detail of your trip. We will stay at Marbella next June (a long way off, I'm sorry). What experiences and places did you enjoy most/learn most? What would you not recommend? Was Granada too far or too similar to Sevilla? Did you drive on each day trip? Would it be better to take a tour bus from Marbella, if possible? My wife is interested to take a day trip to Morocco. Would you recommend?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Paula

I'll try to answer all your questions as best I can. We rented a car and did many daytrips. (Don't rent from Hertz!) We did a day trip to Alhambra, which was very doable and very worthwhile, (you can get tickets in advance on the Internet). We loved the caves in Nerja and I believe they have concerts there in June which would be worth checking out. We also went to the old city of Marbella, which is charming, (there's an excellent outdoor market on Mondays in Marbella itself where they sell everything). Mijas was nice, but touristy;Ronda was beautiful, but I though the ride was a bit scary, tho my husband laughs at me (I get vertigo easily). But if you go, I'd suggest doing it in the day--start early. Seville is too far a day trip--approximately 3 hours each way, and I liked it better than Granada--infact it was one of my favorite places of all--I'd suggest spending at least 2 days there and seeing the flamenco show at Los Gallos. <BR>As far a Morroco--according to what I've heard, going on a day trip doesn't get you far enough into the country and it's really not worth it, but maybe other people have done it and had a good experience. Maybe post it as a question and see what responses you get.<BR>Personally, I think Spain has so much to offer that I'd concentrate on that. I loved it so much that I'm planning to take Spanish lessons and go back. <BR>I'm sure you'll have a great trip and I think it's smart you're starting to plan already.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:05 PM
zee

Hi Paula, I am going to Spain next week and am staying in Marbella marriott. I am going to Sevilla for two days, did you drive to Sevilla and if so which way did you take and how long was it? or do I take the bus there? I know you don't need a car in Sevilla. thanks

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:01 AM
Steph

Zee - <BR><BR>We just flew back on Wednesday from Spain. We spent the first week at the Marbella Marriott. It is a great resort - worth a day of laying by the pool and walking the beach. We also did lots of day trips. We took day trips to Marbella Old Town & Ojen, Rhonda, Granada to see the Alhambra (we did a tour which was very worthwile - arranged it through the Marriott - we drove ourselves up and met the group),Estepona to the market (skip this one) and Gibralter (don't miss this one). We then drove to Sevilla - dropped the car off at the train station (very easy to find) and spent a night there. I wish we had been able to spend another day or two. We also did the flameco show at Los Gallos and would highly recommend it. From Sevilla we took the AVE train to Madrid for two nights. The drive to Sevilla is easy as is the one to Granada. I agree with a previous poster - the drive to Rhonda while not far will take far longer than you expect because it is on narrow roads with lots of hairpin turns and no passing lane. We were stuck behind trucks going 20-30 kph a lot of the way. We had a great time however be warned that inland the temperatures have been very high for this time of year - we had temperatures in Granada, Sevilla and Madrid as high as 39C which is 102F - I now understand why they eat at 10pm - it is too hot to eat earlier! Have a great time - we really enjoyed Spain.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:49 PM
Paula

Zee, I think Steph answered your quesitons just as I would have. Have a great time.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 06:44 AM
paramour

Steph..the tour you booked thru the Marriott to Alhambra..could you get transportation from the Marriott as part of the tour or did you have to drive yourselves to Granada? Also were there any neat markets in the area that you found?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Steph

Yes - you could take the bus from the Marriott. We drove so that if we wanted to stay in Granada longer we would have that option. It is a very easy drive. As it turned out it was over 100F the day we were there and after the tour and a long lunch we headed back to the pool at the Marriott. We didn't go to any markets that I would recommend. The one in Marbella is supposed to be good - I think it is on Mondays but the week we were there was their fair and they did not have the market. We went to the one in Estepona and were not impressed. We have been to the market in Nice and were hoping for something more like that - what we found in Estepona was more like a flee market - lots of designer knock-offs etc. I would try for Marbella.