Reload this Page >

Shipping chocolate back to US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 08:30 PM
Andi

We are hoping to bring European chocolate back home next month. Since our trip is during the heat of July, we will be unable to buy chocolate until the very end. However, has anyone ever sent chocolate home part way through the trip? Did it arrive without melting?

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:55 PM
BTilke

The problem with high quality chocolate is that is does not take very well to big changes in temperature. Shipping in mid-summer is not advisable. Better to just load up at the end, maybe in duty free, and take it with you on the plane.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:16 PM
Ursula

Andi: Agree with BTilke. Buy it the day of your departure, not necessarily at the duty free shops, because it's not cheaper at all. Go to a department store or a discount shop. Newsstands tend to be expensive as well.<BR>I usually take Toblerone when I travel to Asia. It is quite well wrapped, better than "normal" chocolate bars and doesn't suffer too much.<BR>As for the heat, we just went through a long heat wave (around 95F) in Central Europe. Not sure, temps will go up that high again in July.<BR>As for sending home chocolate, I would imagine it's quite expensive.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 02:15 AM
BTilke

Ursula, I usually stock up at the duty free shops in the Brussels airport because they offer a great selection from different makers, I know the chocolate hasn't been squished in my carryon, and I get FF points with Qualiflyer. <BR>Andi, you don't say which airport you're flying out of, but if you have to go out of the new Terminal A in Brussels airport you'll be in for a real treat. It is by far the nicest airport terminal in Europe, especially for shopping and dining. Puts CDG in Paris to shame (especially the shabby Terminal 1).

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Andi

Thanks for the advice- I was afraid that the July heat would make sending chocolate risky. We're flying out of CDG. I was hoping to bring German chocolate home but that's one of the first stops on our trip so I guess I'll be prepared to enjoy it while I'm there!