time to visit london

Search

time to visit london

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time to visit london

is the summer an ok time to go to london?

melissa
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:08 AM
ira

Hi M,

Yes. It gets hot, though.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Depends what you mean by summer. Some people in London will tell you it's hard to predict which particular Tuesday afternoon it's going to be.

Or in other words, the weather is highly changeable. But it's rarely extreme. It can get quite stuffy and humid when it is hot, but it will not normally stay that way for very long.

Obviously there will be more visitors in the high summer/school holiday months. The best combination of weather, long days and less crowding is likely to be between late May and early to mid July, but as with other big cities, there are good and bad aspects to almost any time of year.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:12 AM

Hmm..well it's not all that hot most of the time! But you do have to bear in mind that air-conditioning is a rarity, due mainly to the fact that 1) buildings are often rather old and 2) it's not hot often enough to justify most people/companies getting it installed.

It will also be very, very crowded - and expensive.

I live here and I generally prefer May and late September/early October.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Melissa-- I am curious, what would make it not OK to you? crowds? weather? air fare? public transport schedules? hotel costs? If you love fun crowds, summer is a great time to go to London. If you don't love crowds, summer is an awful time to go to London....The way I see summer is a great time to be anywhere-- it all depends how you define your personal level of comfort.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:25 AM

I get the impression from your other posts that you're planning a holiday with a relative who is less mobile than most - and might have some intolerance to over-warm weather?

If that's so (and I think you would get more helpful replies if you put all your queries together and in context), then mid May to early June or mid to late September would be good times - less crowded, more moderate temperatures.