Time share in Paris

Search

Time share in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time share in Paris

We have a line on a time share in the Arrondissement 19 in Paris near the park (Buttes Chaumont and Metro stop Botzaris. While the time share looks fine, I have no idea about the location and accessibility to the rest of the city. I would greatly appreciate some information about this area. Will it be easy to get to the more touristy parts of the city to see the sites? Is the stuff to do more locally? Are there restaurants, cafes, etc. nearby? We have two boys (4 and 7) so being near the park is a draw for us, but we want to experience more of Paris as well.

Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM

The arrondissemens are very large areas. Much depends on the specific address.

You can "virtually" walk around the neighborhood with Google Maps Street View for determining nearby cafes/restos.

So long as you're convenient to any metro station or bus stop, you'll be able to "get to the more touristy parts".
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 10:13 PM

I've stayed not far away, in a much more workaday part of the 19th, and liked it, as a more "authentic" residential area; the Buttes Chaumont is a lovely park, and this side of it, AFAIK, is quite sought-after, as the estate agents say. It might be quite close to kerouac's picturesque favourite area, La Mouzaia (but it might not).

You should be aware that the area has some pretty steep hills (the word "Buttes" is a bit of a giveaway).

But a more exact address might help pinpoint any potential problems (if there are any).
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 01:33 AM

The 19th is one of my favourite area of Paris. As the other posters have said it's a residential area, and in recent years it's become popular with the 'bobos' and young families who can't quite afford (or chose not) to live closer to the centre.

There's also a large creative population in the 19th, so as well as lots of interesting cafes and bistros, there are lots of small ateliers and galleries selling all manner of artwork and products. It's a really lively, friendly area with great views down onto the eiffel tower, and is only a 15 minute or so tube ride from the more 'touristy' areas.

If I had the spare funds (and I'm working on it) the 19th would be where I'd buy my Parisian pied a terre. Only after I'd bought my old Canut flat in Lyon of course.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, this is very helpful. Here is the exact address:

Adagio City Aparthotel Paris Buttes Chaumont‎
5 Cours du 7ème art
75019 Paris, France
01 53 38 24 24
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 07:52 AM

I'll just comment on the public transportation and accessibility question.

Of course, from the Botzaris Metro station you can get to anywhere you want to go, but, not without at least one change, and probably two. Botzaris is on Metro line 7bis, which is a very short, local line. If you look at the Metro map, you'll see what I mean.

The bus situation doesn't look much better. You would have to go to the other side of the Parc to the stop in front of the Mairie to catch either the 48 bus to the Opera area or Palais Royal, or the 75 to Chatelet and Pont Neuf. Most of the other bus lines in the area don't go directly to the areas of most interest to tourists.

We took the 75 bus from the Marais to the Danube stop to see the Mouzaïa neighborhood and visit the Parc. The bus ride took around 45 minutes.

Hope this helps. Perhaps Kerouac or one of the other Paris experts will weigh in.

This RATP interactive map is very useful:

http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php?lang=uk
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 08:12 AM

I think the number of metro changes comes with the territory when you're that far out and (I think) is not even close to being an inconvenience, particularly (as the OP states) they're planning on buying a time share there.

The address the OP lists above is also a short stroll from the Jourdain stop on line 11, which has the Republique, Temple and Hotel de Ville stops along it, so no great hardship.

Personally I'd never take the bus that far out in Paris, as it ceases to be something that tourists use to get a better feel or view of the city, and starts being something that people use to commute to work/school and so will naturally take far more circuitous routes.

The more I'm thinking about this, the more jealous I'm becoming as I imagine my two kids roaming Belleville and running around the parks.

If the property is right for you alicarwil - I'd say jump on it!
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Is this to buy into or to simply rent for a short term stay?
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 09:05 AM

Good point, JayG, about walking to Jourdain on line 11. With a 5-10 minute walk plus a 15-minute Metro ride with no changes, it would be the most efficient way.

I do love to take the bus to distant neighborhoods in Paris, though. Even though they take more time as a rule, I enjoy being with the various commuters, shoppers and students and have had some interesting conversations with seatmates as we ride through many diverse neighborhoods I would otherwise probably never visit.

The areas we saw in the 19th near the Mairie, the Parc des BC, and especially the Mouzaïa (which is very close to the OP's potential address) looked very nice. I would not hesitate to locate around there, and I, too, am now getting jealous!
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 09:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>particularly (as the OP states) they're planning on buying a time share there.</i>"

I may be wrong, but I assumed you meant you are trading for the TS for a one week stay - not buying. If buying --I'd jump on it in a minute because after a few visits you'd feel almost like a native and know all the metro links/bus lines/local businesses. But for a one week trade - it would be OK but a bit inconvenient IMO
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. That is good news about the Joudain stop, as I did see on the map that the Botzaris would require at least one stop, as MaineGG says. We are planning just a week stay, not to buy. My sister is lending us a timeshare rental and this is the one with the most room. We are ok with a little inconvenience from the main attractions, as long as the neighborhood is good. We are very happy to explore and pretend we are locals, and therefore looking for a nice place to wander around.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Here's a wonderful place to wander around and it's only a ten minute or so walk from your place:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...la-mouzaia.cfm

The Mouzaïa community is unique in Paris and very picturesque.